Sound of Escaping air & black smoke????

MikeA3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
This has just happened to my TDI 130, when the turbo kicks in or i put my foot down i seem to get a loud whoosh almost like the sound of air escaping coming from the front drivers side together with quite a bit of black smoke out of the back

I was thinking it could be one of the turbo hoses but don't really know where to look - i've tried to check most of the pipework and i can't see any missing clips / damaged pipes etc- any help and / or pics of where to check would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike

I would say a pipe has come off. The turbo charge pipe runs down to the intercooler on the near side behind the foglamp, then across the front of the car below the radiator in a metal tube, then up to the intake manifold. If it had come off the intake manifold you would see it, more than likely it has come off down below by the rad.
Car needs jacking up at the front (support with stands) and remove the splash shield, then you'll see the pipe.

Although i have described an A4 setup, is yours an A3? Might be the same.

it's worth a go - thanks :)

don't worry about the black smoke it will disapear when you fix the leak good luck

well I had the car up on axel stands at the weekend and have found the problem, looks like the turbo charge pipe that runs from the engine into the intercooler had come loose & killed the rubber seal, with the car running I could feel the air escaping from the join.

so into the garage for a new seal & pipe tomorrow and that'll be that - bit of a pain as it broke whilst on a test drive with a potential buyer :(