sometimes goes like hell

barney

Reaction score
I own an audi a6 avant 1.9 tdi se 130bhp. I have owned it a year and so far it has been checked for fuel lines blocked or air locked. Vacuum hoses checked for leaks. Fuel filter changed. Maf changed. Ecu tuned. Most days it drives really sluggish with no power, then suddenly the power is unleashed and it goes like hell!! just for a few minutes.
It is really strange, normal driving the car is like muted no power no get up and go. and then without warning it goes like stink. What can cause this please anyone? Do I sell it or persivere?

a loss of power would normally happen if the car went into limp mode - i.e it'll get you home but you won't have the full power the engine should provide.

you mentioned the ECU's been mapped - do you know by who? - it could be a bad map that the ECU can't handle and thats triggering the limp mode

Mike

Hi Mike, yes i do know who mapped the ecu this was done to fix my car. I dont think my car goes into limp mode, it just feels like its strangled like it needs more fuel.

Hi Barney - The ECU was mapped to fix your car? - that's a bit strange - what was wrong with it to need this?

The ECU would normally control the amount of fuel going into the engine, if you've had your hoses checked (no pun intended) and there ok then perhaps theres a problem with the fuel pump?

Hi Mike,
Yes i had the ecu mapped to fix the car, i was informed by the guy tuning the car that he would give me what i wanted. It was late January this year and the roads were too slippery to do a real test drive but i coffed up £464 to the guy knowing he has given me a years warranty on it. Obviously I have taken it back and he is now in the process of getting a test rig set up to test speed against distance against acceleration etc for a given period. Apparently i have noticed that if i park my car on the drive which is sloped the car goes like a dog the following morning. If when i park it up for an hour on level ground the car goes like stink for a few minutes which suggests there is something wrong with the fuel system. I have just been in contact with INDE TECH at Milton Keynes from a recommendation of a member from Audi-Sport.net in the Tech Talk section of the forum. If you read that thread from the Allroad 2.5tdi intermittent power delivery...( sometimes). Where the chap says his car feels like its being strangled is similar to mine.

Hope you get it sorted out mate -be sure to post your results up as i'm sure other forum members will have the same problem at some point in the future