Clogged inlet manifold?

Layerz

Reaction score
As per my other post my car is loosing power somewhere and I am trying to track it down.

Can the inlet manifold on the turbo being clogged affect performance by say upto or more then 10bhp?

I got access to the top earlier and got alot of soot / crap out of it however taking the whole manifold off looks a bit laboroued and I will need a good 1/2 day or more to take it off and properly clean it. I just want to know if this would help me recover some power.

There was about 5mm-10mm thick in crap at some points but it is now clean at the end where the intercooler pipes and egr go into.

It is a a4 tdi 98 110bhp (pah) it is an afn engine so non PD.

And awfull english frm me above.

It is a ****** to get off as you got to use allen keys to do so, and that means taking other bits off so I want a good day to do it.

The mini clean from earlier seems to help a lil bit.

Its pretty easy to do, I did my AFN manifold/EGR last year and it does make a difference, you should buy some new gasket for EGR though.

Right the ****** is coming off at some point as I don't know if it was just in my head but the pick up was much better earlier in 3rd and 4th.

Edit: I should add I only removed a small part on the top of the inlet manifold and cleaned it and that is how I have felt a difference.

Banny how much of a difference did you notice?

Yeah quite abit, especially the EGR part

I did this job recently as my car has just passed the 140k mark and I wasn't too sure what I'd find; car was going OK, just with all the tales of clogged manifolds thought it wouldn't do any harm to check.............
Took a few hours going very slowly and found almost no crud at all, a tiny bit of sooty gunge in the manifold (which got a good clean) but EGR valve clean as a whistle.
A bit disappointed not to find a load of muck to be honest, but at least I know all is OK there now................