Badger5JMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Should I allow my turbo to cool down?

Hey all,
    I was wondering, having read about petrol turbos, and how they advise you to idle and cool the turbo before switching off the engine, is this advisable on a diesel turbo too?
    Any spelling/ grammatical errors are there purely to annoy!

A4 2.0TDI (143) S-Line Quartz Grey

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Yes exactly the same
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    S2 Avant (slipper wagon spec)
    A4 AVANT TDI

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    I idle mine for a minute each time. I also make sure that I'm not full on the turbo too close to my destination so that it is cooling down as I drive.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

4th Gear

Status
    You will find its best to drive gently on way back just for the oil to settle and not to just cool down the turbo as the engine will hold its heat(and turbo) for ages after you stop so should cool gently in any case!
    2010 A4 Avant B8 S-Line Executive 143ps 2.0 Tdi Ice Silver

Extras - 5 spoke 18's, Comfort Pack, Electric Seats, Start-Stop, alcantara/leather, Silver Stitching, Factory Tints all round, Cruise control, symphony 6 disc changer, mobile phone prep low

Previously Owned 2002 Red A4 Avant Quattro Tdi 130 , 2004 Red A4 Avant Quattro Tdi 130

Status
    Yes
    2001 A6 Avant 2.5TDi quattro Sport 180hp+TurboDynamics MD438 hybrid+Bosio Race683s+3" exhaust+Celtic Tuning remap - now with adamss24 replaced with runabout
    2007 BMW 535d AM Sport + Celtic remap
    2004 A4 Avant 1.9TDi quattro Sport 130hp + Superchip - sold & replaced by
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T
    1988 Yamaha FJ1200 120hp finally traded after 23 years for
    1986 Yamaha FJ100 (1300 barrels shhh!) with too many bits to mention
    2011 BMW 320d M Sport son #1
    2004 Suzuki SV650 S son #2

Shakersville

Status
    The main problem used to be oil starvation to the turbo bearings & not really a temperature thing .

The turbo would still be spinning at high speed and if you switched the engine off this would cut the oil pump and starve the bearings of fresh oil causing premature wear /failure to the bearing whilst it was still spining.

So you would let the turbo spin down before turning the engine off.

This used to be a big problem on MF tractors but most modern engine manufactures are now aware of the problem and take steps to prevent this oil starvation happening.

Mellow Yellow

Status
    The main reason for having a turbo timer on a petrol car is because of the ludicrous temperatures involved, so you need a couple of minutes of gentle driving/idle to allow it to cool enough with oil circulating before switching off. A TDi runs at a much coller temperature and Audi's owners manual advises that you do not need to worry about this unless you have been thrashing the hell out of it, and even then only needs 30-60 seconds of gentle driving to sort it out.