Engine Ticking Noise

Sm[]key

Reaction score
My Audi A4 1.9 Tdi 1998 has developed a ticking noise which sounds like the timing is out.

I have ran the vag-com tdi timing checker and it indicates my timing is slighty advanced but within the ok region.

Any idea what could be up with the car as I'm not to clued up when it comes to diesel engines.......I've only recently noticed the ticking, so this could have been happening for a while.....

Where does the ticking seam to be coming from , have you just had it chipped or perhaps a tuning box has been added.

It sounds like the tappets as on a petrol engine. I am assuming its the same problem.

No there have been no performance mods that I am aware of.

I think I'm gonna have to strip the lot this friday, so I was wanting ahead start if anyone had an info for me.....

I've had a mechanic friend have a listen to the noise and he says its one tappet making the noise.

Has anyone stripped the cam out to replace along with all the kit (followers/guides/etc.)?

Thanks

Try changing the oil first, drain out the old oil, fill with flushing oil and run for 10 mins at fast idle, drain then refill with new oil and see if that helps.
Bit quicker and cheaper than stripping the head.