Routes of tunning?

Layerz

Reaction score
Guys,
I have a 98 non pd A4 tdi 110 se.
I know the first route of tune is stage one remap that fingers crossed would give me 145bhp.

After this point what are all the options open to me?
I have been advised of using a hybrid turbo and fmic, but at which point do I consider injectors?

Have you tried tdiclub.com? theres loads of info on tuning 1.9tdi on there. I would ask around as many tuners as you can before choosing, theres a difference.

Given the car is 9-10 years old i would allow for a new clutch if you are going for a big increase. You may find your diesel pump limits you before your injectors, but this varies from engine to engine, sorry don't know enough about tech details.

Before spending loadsa money, time on the basics will help you get the most out of your chip/remap. My 98 1.9tdi 110 Passat benefited from a K&N induction kit, but theres plenty of psts saying they oil up the MAF, can't say i noticed. I also cleaned out the intake side of the engine, you would be surprised at the amount of crap in there from the egr. You might want to discaonnect it, plenty of advice on tdiclub.com. Replace all the small vacumn hoses that link up the sensors around the engine, a pain but relatively cheap, a small leak makes a big difference. Biggles has posted elswhere on this forum about the benefits of stripping and cleaning his turbo, albeit that was a 2.5tdi. If you are looking for lots of fuel flow, when was the last time the fuel filters were changed?

If you use the larger injector/nozzle, and vag-com the car to match you will probably see a lot of black smoke accelerating at low revs.

Strangely i saw the largest power/torque increase from advancing the timing, as my ecu seems determined to adapt itself for economy.

In regards to an fmic setup, what is needed?

I take it any fmic will do, and just extended piping? Or complete new pipes?

Try this company for a fmic the guy who runs it is called Ollie and i have sent many people here to buy his ic's which are at a great price and are not crap........ www.thsparts.co.uk My name over on tdiclub.com is Mojogoes but for what ever reason it wouldn't let me register with this name on here :think: if you want more power you will also need a larger turbo the vnt17vb which come on the 150hp pd motors or the turbo off of the 130hp pd motor will bolt right on with a couple of adjustments to the oil line and a pd 100 boost hose its a no brainer.

Larger nozzles will be required also...the pp764's to be fare will do the job here which you can aquire at www.kermatdi.com just register on his site and place your order....i do business with this chap in the states and he's a good guy called Charlie!!....all these parts and more importantly a re-map will give you around 170hp and if you want more than this an 11mm pump can be fit for an extra 10hp/15hp respectively.

I have a similar engine and was also considering swapping my vnt-15 for the larger vnt-17 as fitted to the 130 and 150 bhp VAG engines, seems like all i need is a small adapter for the air pipe to bolt onto the turbo.

I presume that i would have to alter the boost control system to use more than 18psi.

The trouble is that i like plenty of power low down in the rev range, and it seems that fitting the larger turbo would only give gains at higher revs, and probably loose power at low-mid revs.

What would be the best solution to gain more power at lower revs?

Increase fueling/larger 0.216mm injectors?

inigoj said:
I have a similar engine and was also considering swapping my vnt-15 for the larger vnt-17 as fitted to the 130 and 150 bhp VAG engines, seems like all i need is a small adapter for the air pipe to bolt onto the turbo.

I presume that i would have to alter the boost control system to use more than 18psi.

The trouble is that i like plenty of power low down in the rev range, and it seems that fitting the larger turbo would only give gains at higher revs, and probably loose power at low-mid revs.

What would be the best solution to gain more power at lower revs?

Increase fueling/larger 0.216mm injectors?

If you used a vnt17 plus larger nozzles plus a good re-map you will not loose much if any low down tq....what you have to remember with the vnt15 and more importantly the vnt17 & vnt20's is that you don't want more than 6 to 7psi boost pressure b4 2000rpm....any more than this will put you on the surge line / regime......and more shance of damaging your turbo/engine.

Back in the day so to speak people wanted what you are asking for (more low down tq) but when it comes to higher powered turbo diesels this isn't really needed especially because the drive train and clutch would take too much hammer......this is where a good tuner is worth is salt and can sistematically reduce the torque down lower to protect the clutch and to add more and more the further up the rev range where it can be used.

But i know plenty of guy's who have such a setup ( vnt17's & vnt20's ) who can smoke any hopped up vnt15 setup down low......but still have boost to spare for a seamingly second stage pull , this is where the vnt15's small turbine falls down ( it creates too much back pressure ) at which point the engine can't breath / suck in any more air.

The vnt17 and vnt20 have bigger turbine housings which will give you more and cooler charged = more power even at the same boost pressure....with the vnt17 130hp turbo 22psi is a good level and the 150hp vnt17vb 1.6bar about 24psi max.

Mojo thanks for the info, I take it that if next I move onto a vnt17b I would need a fmic, if I did this and then anotherr remap what power could I see.
I take it we would be talking over 200bhp if I went exhaust+vnt17vb+764nozzles(already fittedd)+biggerpump+fmic?