Cold Diesel usage!!

samuelt

Reaction score
Hi all

A few posts ago i was worried about my high fuel consumption after a Service 27mpg! in a 02 130 PD A4, i took the car back and the guy put it on the computer and said a temp sensor was gone and the car was always running cold. He changed the sensor (if it helps it is the one that lets out coolant when removed?) but my miles to go (no full DIS) is runnning down really fast!

My main problem may be that it is now always cold up here in scotland and my journey to work is 2 miles and i do this 4 times a day (home for lunch). I am guessing that the car never turns of the cold start function??

The guage went down 30 miles yesterday after only 10-15 miles and has already gone down 15 after only 5 miles today!

Does this sound possible??

sounds more than possible. If you're on AVS, the display is only an approximation, as it takes into account your driving style and time since last service. When was teh last service?

Driving short journeys is bad too, as you you already know, as the car never really gets up to running temperature - especially in a diesel as they can take a longer time to warm up.

hi

last service was on the 6/11/06 full 60k at 53k (belt/pump/service). He did check the timing when i took it in for the new sensor and explained it is within Audi tollorances.

when i had my AVS service earlier this year, it calculated 7300 miles to my next service.

the only people that get big mileages from AVS services (17k) are those who have a large annual mileage. Those of us who do short journeys will be lucky to get anywhere near 9k.

Madvw - Think he meant the miles range in the tank rather than 'miles to next service' - tank range is all you see in the standard display when you don't have full DIS..

SamuelT - My range counter (04 A4) used to start quite high, around 750 - 770 miles typically, and then drop fairly quickly (more than the miles covered) to stabilise more by the time the tank was half gone. I used to get around 570miles from a tank as an average (130PD, multitronic, +remap) but thats a fair bit more than the 27 you say you are getting..

The counter does seem to base 'remaining range' on your current journey driving style - so hooning it a bit does drop the range left quite quickly, more than the miles covered..

Bascule said:
Madvw - Think he meant the miles range in the tank rather than 'miles to next service' - tank range is all you see in the standard display when you don't have full DIS..

aaaah, that'll explain it ;) the tank range on mine is utter rubbish, and is a compulsive lier.

Bascule until my car was serviced it did the exact thing 700+ miles then did 520ish by the time the light came on. now my miles done + miles to go is 475 and droping fast!

got same problem,a4 tdi pd 130, 100 miles and filled up ate 19 pounds....a week later (after zero-ing the trip) 100.3 miles and 19 pounds ,been checked when tank full to the top. 100 mile on 19 quid?

new temp sensor,no leaks,and no black smoke!

I use SHELL fuel, i think that the problem,going try total next!