Boost....

Drizz

Project Plush
Reaction score
I know this may sound a bit silly to most but i spent an absolute fortune on a Boost guage for my previous car, a Cavalier Turbo and as its sat around can i put it on the Audi? If so where can i get a vacuum from?

Don't have vacuum on the diesel engine so your gauge will only read boost.You could tap into a boost pipe just before the inlet.

Thats right i forgot that with diesels. The gauge will not read - value it will sit on the 0 then once there is boost it will read the pressure. On my old Passat TD i put a t-piece in the 6mm hose from the turbo. There should be a 6mm line off the turbo. I havent had a look at my Audi yet. Will look tomorrow if the weather is any better.

Craig

Great cheers for the info guys. Bit sad i know but it breaks my heart to have it sitting on the shelf...

Hi Guys,

Just be sure which pipe you use. Dont tee the boost guage into the pipe that goes to the turbocharger actuator. The VNT turbo uses the vacume signal from the vacume pump to control the turbocharger vanes. It does NOT use boost pressure so you will not see a boost reading if you tap into this pipe. You need to find a pipe that is connected to the inlet manifold to get a positive pressure reading.

if you get it in ill be interested to know where you t'ed into, i have still got the boost guage from my previous car.

oooooo apexi AVCR, lemme know how u get on! a mate has 1 on his 200sx, it's mental!
i got a boost guage runnin 18psi on overboost, want to re-route the dump off the actuator valve to get a nice wastegate noise lol

Well this is the least of my worries now as ive broke down. Suspected fuel pump, so looks like ill be bankrupt LOL

Evomaster, your HKS DV wont work on a diesel engine. A dump valave is only for petrol engines. The dump valve diverts or "dumps" excess boost pressure to stop the turbo cpmpressor stalling when the throttle plate is closed on a petrol engine ( during gearchange or over-run for example) engine). A diesel engine does not have a throttle plate in the inlet tract so there is no need, or way, to plumb in a DV valve.

Hope this helps...

yeah i know all that, hence they are controlled by electonic switches using the vacuum from the brake servo, anyway it worked 4 2 days! brilliant! was awesome! now don't so i gave up on it!

some diesels do have a throttle flap, and you do get vacuum in the intake manifold, if the turbo is not making pressure then you will get a vacuum, you have to have one or the other there is nothing in the middle when the engine is running.

ive just about to order one of these.........

b6_close_sm.jpg

b6_cvent_platinum.jpg

but cant get a answer to see if suitable with the derv

it comes like that, not sure if will suit the tdi engine though, what sort of boost does the derv make??

b6_full_kit.jpg