Volks AutosChris Nott

Thread: Boost....

Project Plush

Status

Boost....

I know this may sound a bit silly to most but i spent an absolute fortune on a Boost guage for my previous car, a Cavalier Turbo and as its sat around can i put it on the Audi? If so where can i get a vacuum from?
    Drizz Developments - Audi A4 Avant Quattro Sport

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Any inlet manifold vacuum.
    Audi A6 2.5 5Cyl tdi Quattro running 180ps 370Nm @0.9bar soon to be over 200ps

AUDI URS4, URS6 and A4 1.8T breaking Lots of spares available at good prices. Large parts require collecting.

6th Gear

Status
    Don't have vacuum on the diesel engine so your gauge will only read boost.You could tap into a boost pipe just before the inlet.

2nd Gear

Status
    Thats right i forgot that with diesels. The gauge will not read - value it will sit on the 0 then once there is boost it will read the pressure. On my old Passat TD i put a t-piece in the 6mm hose from the turbo. There should be a 6mm line off the turbo. I havent had a look at my Audi yet. Will look tomorrow if the weather is any better.

Craig

AUDI URS4, URS6 and A4 1.8T breaking Lots of spares available at good prices. Large parts require collecting.

Project Plush

Status
    Great cheers for the info guys. Bit sad i know but it breaks my heart to have it sitting on the shelf...

Neutral

Status
    Hi Guys,

Just be sure which pipe you use. Dont tee the boost guage into the pipe that goes to the turbocharger actuator. The VNT turbo uses the vacume signal from the vacume pump to control the turbocharger vanes. It does NOT use boost pressure so you will not see a boost reading if you tap into this pipe. You need to find a pipe that is connected to the inlet manifold to get a positive pressure reading.

2nd Gear

Status
    Not sad it is always good to have a way of checking boost pressure.
    I am looking into fitting An Apexi AVCR to mine.

Craig

1st Gear

Status
    if you get it in ill be interested to know where you t'ed into, i have still got the boost guage from my previous car.
    Formally a4 2.5 tdi (b5)
    Now Seat Ibiza tdi 130

2nd Gear

Status
    oooooo apexi AVCR, lemme know how u get on! a mate has 1 on his 200sx, it's mental!
    i got a boost guage runnin 18psi on overboost, want to re-route the dump off the actuator valve to get a nice wastegate noise lol

Project Plush

Status
    Well this is the least of my worries now as ive broke down. Suspected fuel pump, so looks like ill be bankrupt LOL

Neutral

Status
    Evomaster, your HKS DV wont work on a diesel engine. A dump valave is only for petrol engines. The dump valve diverts or "dumps" excess boost pressure to stop the turbo cpmpressor stalling when the throttle plate is closed on a petrol engine ( during gearchange or over-run for example) engine). A diesel engine does not have a throttle plate in the inlet tract so there is no need, or way, to plumb in a DV valve.

Hope this helps...

2nd Gear

Status
    yeah i know all that, hence they are controlled by electonic switches using the vacuum from the brake servo, anyway it worked 4 2 days! brilliant! was awesome! now don't so i gave up on it!

My BM is fixed!

Status
    some diesels do have a throttle flap, and you do get vacuum in the intake manifold, if the turbo is not making pressure then you will get a vacuum, you have to have one or the other there is nothing in the middle when the engine is running.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

4th Gear

Status
    ive just about to order one of these.........

but cant get a answer to see if suitable with the derv
    Last edited by Mcgough; 7th January 2007 at 22:54.
    2010 A4 Avant B8 S-Line Executive 143ps 2.0 Tdi Ice Silver

Extras - 5 spoke 18's, Comfort Pack, Electric Seats, Start-Stop, alcantara/leather, Silver Stitching, Factory Tints all round, Cruise control, symphony 6 disc changer, mobile phone prep low

Previously Owned 2002 Red A4 Avant Quattro Tdi 130 , 2004 Red A4 Avant Quattro Tdi 130

Project Plush

Status
    Dont put it in the vent though, looks odd

4th Gear

Status
    it comes like that, not sure if will suit the tdi engine though, what sort of boost does the derv make??

2010 A4 Avant B8 S-Line Executive 143ps 2.0 Tdi Ice Silver

Extras - 5 spoke 18's, Comfort Pack, Electric Seats, Start-Stop, alcantara/leather, Silver Stitching, Factory Tints all round, Cruise control, symphony 6 disc changer, mobile phone prep low

Previously Owned 2002 Red A4 Avant Quattro Tdi 130 , 2004 Red A4 Avant Quattro Tdi 130