pump timing problems?

shufti

Reaction score
hi guys

I have a non running 1996 a4 avant 1.9tdi (110 bhp) that I recently advertised for sale.

I just had an audi technician come to view and try and diagnose the starting problem..... I told him that I previously tried the wd40 in the intake pipe trick which didn't work though it did make the engine slightly kick but not start.

He hooked it up to Vag Com which showed no engine faults and he said there is still good compression in the engine. He opened the injectors and fuel was coming through. He then spotted the cam belt to be looser than it should and said the timing is out and this is the likely reason it's not starting.

Unfortunately the dilemma is I cannot get him to repair this as it's a conflict of interest with him wanting to buy the car from me not running and getting a better deal. He seemed honest and what he come up with made sense to what I've been advised on this forum in the past, I guess if he wanted to stitch me up he would of said it needed a new diesel pump or engine etc and try and buy the car for peanuts..... From my point of view a working car is far easier to sell than a dead one and I'm hoping that the repair will not be too costly as what he saw certainly didn't put him off making an offer on the car as it stood.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much this may cost to put right? can the cam belt just be adjusted or does it need a new one fitted?

does anyone know a reasonably priced mobile mechanic or enthusiast around the Croydon area that could help me out?

any help would really be appreciated, thanks