Oil Leak on TDi 130

Karcsi

Reaction score
I hope some of you might be able to help.

Got a 2001 A4 TDI 130 with 60k on the clock. Last year, while travelling across europe, I noticed there was some oil on the underside of the engine cover, under the top left corner. Not sure where it was coming from, so wiped it off, and it didn't reoccur.

Last night, noticed it's oily again. So I takes off the engine cover, and see that the oil could be coming from two parts.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't been able to track down a diagram of the engine from net, but the two parts are on, what I think is, the inlet manifold - rubber pipe starting from the nearside front corner of the car, leading around the back of the engine, and attaching to the engine block on the left had side via these parts.

The parts that appear at fault are a metal saucer shaped item (I guess a valve of some sort) to which is attached a plastic piston valve. The oil is either coming from the piston valve, or from the saucer shaped valve.

I assume this may be the EGR Valve. However, I am not sure why there would be any engine oil coming from it. That would suggest that engine oil is escaping via the exhaust manifold, which does not sound good.

Edit: Found a photo of a similar part - it is the EGR Valve

13_1.JPG

Could it be that the piston valve at the side is sticking open and letting out oil?

Ummm what?! Am I not being clear; are you confused? Or do you just not know?

I am certain it is the EGR Valve. I believe the plastic valve thing to the side of it is sticking and letting out oil. The other possibility is that there is a hole on either side of the main part of the EGR valve (metal saucer shaped thing). I've cleaned it to see whether it shows a leak in a few days.

I don't quite understand why oil should be coming from the EGR Valve. OK, the exhaust fumes of a diesel engine does contain some oil - hence why the exhaust system generally doesn't rust. But surely it doesn't contain so much that it would spray such a large area of the cover with oil?

Well, the thing to the side of the egr valve (diaphragm) is called the anti-shudde valve. The oil appears to be coming from there. Why or how, dunno yet.

you get a build of waxy crud in the egr valve, but not usually oil. are you sure the oil breather pipe located on top of the cylinder head, near the egr valve, isn't puffing oil out? the oil breather pipe is a plastic disc with a small stubby pipe coming out of it.

anyway, have you take it to a local garage just for an opinion?

thinking about it, oil shouldn't be anywhere near the egr valve. it's all exhaust gases and soot. have you had the plastic engine cover off to inspect properly? btw where abouts are you?

Check the boost hose is tight......take a pic and load on to the site that might help

Thanks guys. Been, away so haven't had time to take a pic. Will do so in the next couple of days.

I've removed the engine cover and cleaned everything up and will see where it appears first. The oil was mainly on the anti-shudder valve, and some all around the underside of the EGR valve unit. However, oil had also splattered on the right side of the EGR valve, on top of the engine, so I have a feeling the oil has come from the two small holes on either side of the EGR valve (along with some crud which had coated the metal tube running from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve. Having just done 100+ miles of fast motorway driving, a little crud / oil appears to have seeped from one of these holes.

The breather pipe looks fine. All other areas of the engine surrounding the EGR look sound.

The engine is due for a cambelt change in a couple of weeks, so will ask for the EGR valve to be checked out at the same time.

I have pretty certain the EGR is the source. I am also stumped as to why oil should be coming from it. I'll post pics when I have them.

Vagman1, I'm based in Bedfordshire.

have you tried cleaning the egr valve? disconnect the pipes connected to it and use some carb cleaner and a tootbrush to get rid of all the gumge that builds up inside.

Hi guys , i seem to be haveing the same problem with oil coming from the erg valve , not major amounts just enough to run down the underside of the engin cover.
Anyone know what this valve does and why our car 's seem to be leaking oil from here ??

my cars a A4 tdi 130 sport with 72 k on the clock with full history oil changes ect cam belt changed so one .

There's also some sooty looking deposites around the area , i was thinking may be its a turbo about to blow or something real bad like that even though the car drives fine help needed thanks guys in advance :sadlike:

Spot on Andy. That's exactly it. After cleaning up during the week, I can now see that the "oil" is coming from the two holes in the side of the EGR valve (one either side) and, as you say, running down the sides. Not much, but enough.

Could it be that the EGR valve is partially blocked and the excess pressure is pushing the debris out off the holes? Or could it be that there is excess pressure in the engine / sump?

kar , just found this post and im thinking you may well be right about it been partley blocked, if this post is anything to go bye " http://www.audisport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=28539 " but yet to find a answer to the question . if i have time this weekend i 'll take it apart and have a look and let you know if it fixes the problem .

Thanks Andy. Yuck! Could be gruesome in there!

I think I might let Audi stick a new one on there when as they are replacing the cambelt anyway. I don't really have the time before then to see whether I can remove and clean it. How easy is it to remove? I tried tugging on the vacuum pipe on the top at one point, but it would not even budge, so though best not to apply any more force.

have a look on top of the cam cover there's an oil breather pipe that joins the intake pipe going from/to the turbo. oil gets in this pipe then into the intake pipe then to the intercooler (have a look at the pipes and you will see oil around the pipes there) then into the egr valve, some oil will leak out,some will get burnt and the rest mix's with the soot from the exhaust gas the egrs is letting in and this makes a nice tar like goo the blocks the egr and inlet manafold and is normal on 99% of diesal engines

Makes sense. But could the EGR releasing oil through those "blow holes" because it is partially blocked (can't go anywhere else) or because there is more oil getting that far from the breather pipe (perhaps because of too much pressure in the sump)?

I had the EGR checked out on Tuesday. The Audi tech found nothing wrong with the EGR. Apparently the 'oil' coming from those two holes is quite normal if an engine has only be lightly used (as was the case under my father's ownership) and then is used more normally. The system is just getting rid of the gunk that has been accumulated over time.

Found it strange, but if they say so, it must be OK - other than common decency, they have absolutely no incentive not to change the part (they were not exactly busy either).

EGR valves leaking oil are a very common fault. I usually replace them, + if in warranty can be replaced under warranty. It could also be the boost hose going into the egr causing the leak.

So just to clarify ,it normal to have oil running out of your engine from the EGR valve or does it mean that the EGR vale is defective ???
I ve taken mine apart and had a look at it , it was a little bit dirty inside but bye no means was it blocked just a little build up of tary sooty stuff coating the internals, i gave it a good cleaning out with gunk and checked all bits worked then refitted .
The pipe which joins the EGR valve from the bottom (think its from the manifold ) has a valve on the end, this was pritty dirty with build up of soot .
Anyone know what to look for if you think your EGR valves spitting oil ??

My dealer said it's all fine. The valve is pretty clean, and oil coming out is quite normal. Only thing is, it only started doing it 18 months ago. I am sure the dealer would have replace it if there was a hint of an issue - they are there to make money, after all.

Remove the EGR pipe and blank off the holes, problem solved. I'm just waiting for some suitable steel to present itself then i'm going to do just that.

Blanking does not seem to be the best solution, but it may work.

I have the same problem: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=33361&highlight=loosing+oil

But obviosly I should calm down. I had that wax too much I think and therefore that EGR valve was possibly stuck opened. If I will have enoughe time to but it together and wait for the results, I will let you know

A4Quattro said:
Remove the EGR pipe and blank off the holes, problem solved. I'm just waiting for some suitable steel to present itself then i'm going to do just that.

mine was leaking oil,cleaned it no more oil leak!