Whats the better engine, 1.9 tdi 130 or 2.0 tdi 130

Aldo

Reaction score
May of been asked before,
Is the 2.0 a new engine, because i'm sure I have seen the 1.9 on pretty new models along with the 2.0.
Just curious to know what the major differences is and which one is quicker (as they are both 130bhp)

Yes, on new plates the 1.9 is 115bhp, the 2.0 is 140, with a new 170 addition available. I don't think the 1.9 comes as:arco: 130bhp any more.

All the 1.9 engines have a single cam. 2.0 has dual cams (for inlet and outlet). So in theory 2.0 is better, although things don't always follow theory...

the 1.9tdi is 130BHp yet most people will find if you get it tuned the car is actually around 137BHp standard,

and the 2.0tdi is 140ps which is listed as 137BHP on many technical dater websites.

having drove both 50k miles each and tuned both, ive just bought another 1.9tdi as its undoubtably the better engine.

I felt the 2.0 was a little 'harsher' in both sound and power delivery, was not convinced it was a step forward. Certainly no noticeable performance difference, I wouldnt buy a 2.0 for the extra power at all. A remap on a 1.9 will give you around 170-180BHp anyway! again, not much different to a remapped 2.0..
This is nitpicking though - both are fine engines - If the rest of the car was 'right' I wouldnt let the 1.9 preference put me off buying a 2.0.. so my advice would be dont worry about it, the rest of the car is more important than that

Bascule said:
I felt the 2.0 was a little 'harsher' in both sound and power delivery, was not convinced it was a step forward.

I think you must have driven a duff one.

I've driven both A3 and A4 with the 2.0TDi and it is a peach. So much smoother and quieter than any 1.9 130 I've driven. It also doesn't have that big slab of torque coming in at 1900rpm instead it builds progressively all the way to 4k. Much more petrol-like than the 1.9.

I haven't driven the 170 version but if it's as good as the 140 it'll be on our shopping list when we change our car.

Dave

I think i'd go for the 1.9, if nothing else it'll be cheaper to tax every year as it's under 2 litres and with a taiolred remap they can sort out the turbo wallop issue & put a smile on your face, the 1.9 diesel engine has been constantly evolving throughout it's time with VAG (10yrs+) so i'd hope it's doing something right.....

but a 2.0 litre diesel may be easier to sell on

MikeA3 - the 1.9TDi is the most sought after here and also the one with best residiual price. May be different in the UK. My 1.9 has a good slap of Torque at around the 1900 but I think a remap is what I need to get a smoother delivery.

MikeA3 said:
I think i'd go for the 1.9, if nothing else it'll be cheaper to tax every year as it's under 2 litres and with a taiolred remap they can sort out the turbo wallop issue & put a smile on your face, the 1.9 diesel engine has been constantly evolving throughout it's time with VAG (10yrs+) so i'd hope it's doing something right.....

but a 2.0 litre diesel may be easier to sell on

It's not cheaper to tax as it goes on emissions not engine size. Infact the 170bhp has the lowest emissions of all the current TDIs

necroeire said:
MikeA3 - the 1.9TDi is the most sought after here and also the one with best residiual price.

Thats strange - i'd have thought buyers would go for the latest model (i.e the 2.0 TDI as opposed to the 1.9)

Also about the tax, when i did mine (about 8 months ago) I thought cars with an engine over 2.0 litres went up a tax bracket and then it was based on the emissions - memory's a bit fuzzy though