AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    is a retronaut

Status

Question 60k and fuel economy is worse. Why?

My dad wants me to ask if you can help. He has a 1.9 Tdi 130BHP and now it'd done a few miles his economy has reduced I think he said he can't get 50mpg anymore. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong.

Any tips? Maybe an injector clean out? I'm a petrol man so I don't know. I said he should get it chipped lol

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

My BM is fixed!

Status
    I'd like to know how he got 50mpg out of it in the past, I have got the same car although mine is a quattro, and i can't get anywhere near 50mpg, i get about 40-43.
    My car costs about 10ppm in diesel.

It shouldn't need the injectors cleaning at 60k, has it been serviced regularly? has the fuel filter been changed?

4th Gear

Status
    I only manage low 40's on our FWD 130 Sport. I've never seen 50mpg even on a 500 mile run which was 75% motorway.

I notice that the government MPG figures are the same for standard 130, 130 SE and 130 Sport. I doubt this is possible as the Sport has wider and lower profile tyres which are bound to affect MPG.

Ours has 20K miles BTW

is a retronaut

Status
    I double checked with him and he definately said high 40s-50mpg.

Neutral

Status
    I'd first change the air filter as a blocked filter will cost you MPG in a derv. Also, don't forget that fuel will now have changed to 'winter blend' which you don't get as good economy from anyway.
    Phil.
    '07 Audi TT 2.0 TFSI in Audi Exclusive Lava Grey
    '07 Daihatsu Copen 1.3

3rd Gear

Status
    MAF sensor would be my guess. Disconnect it and drive round for a bit. If the engine is more responsive then that is what is wrong. Do a bit of a google and you'll see its a common fault...

2nd Gear

Status
    A4 130(sport) 52k miles.

I mainly drive round town and get a constant 40mpg over 500 miles.

During the summer I drove from Perth to Dover and got 50MPG , crossing france at close to 100mph for 4 hours i again got 50 MPG, then following the Inlaws back to calais at 55-60mph (they had a caravan) i got 65mpg. at one point my miles done plus range left was over 1000.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelt
    A4 130(sport) 52k miles.

I mainly drive round town and get a constant 40mpg over 500 miles.

During the summer I drove from Perth to Dover and got 50MPG , crossing france at close to 100mph for 4 hours i again got 50 MPG, then following the Inlaws back to calais at 55-60mph (they had a caravan) i got 65mpg. at one point my miles done plus range left was over 1000.
    Has it always been like that? Does your car have 235/45R17 tyres?

Mine only has 20K miles on it but around town I probably get around 35MPG (real not DIS). As I said before, the best tankful we've had was 47MPG and that was on a 500 mile run from Bedford to Aberdeen.

2nd Gear

Status
    hi macduff

That is using real numbers not DIS (as i do not have it), i have only had the car since late May. and it is running on 205/50/16 standard tyres. I have just booked it in for a timing belt/waterpump service so i hope consumption will be better again once the engine has been set up properly. Only first service was Audi so I bet it could do with some care from a VAG system.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelt
    hi macduff

That is using real numbers not DIS (as i do not have it), i have only had the car since late May. and it is running on 205/50/16 standard tyres. I have just booked it in for a timing belt/waterpump service so i hope consumption will be better again once the engine has been set up properly. Only first service was Audi so I bet it could do with some care from a VAG system.
    I imagine that the wider wheels on mine are what makes the difference

Gotcha!!!

Status
    I had a 130 6 speed sport and frequently got over 50mpg. I drove to Germany from Manchester and back on one tank and that was doing about 80Mph on the motorway. the DIS frequently showed over 800 miles left in the tank when a filled it up.

Saying that I can drive any car and beat the best MPG it already has logged and still have fun. I guess some people can feel the car more than others and therefore use the fuel in a better way??????
    A6 C6 2.0 TFSI Avant, Grey Silver, Auto.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I get over 50mpg out of my 1998 A6 1.9Tdi regular 52 usually and it done 166k

Most of the time it hangs around 48-49mpg, but on long runs 50+ but only when crusing at 80, below that not as good
    Dave

1st Gear

Status
    I have managed an average of 60mpg on a 500 miles round trip. I was only tickling the throttle the whole of the journey.