2.5 V6 TDI - FWD or Quattro

K7ERG

Reaction score
Website
www.wallaceperformance.co.uk
I am looking to buy a 2.5 V6 TDI SE soon but wondering if there is much point going for the Quattro over the FWD models.

It will be used to tow sometimes but looking for decend MPG.

Do all SE's have cruise control or was it an optional extra with the SE?

Any info regarding tuning,specs and problems with the above model would be a great help.

Thanks Craig

Hi Craig,

I cannot speak from experience but mine is a 1.9 2WD and I do tend to lose quite a lot of traction, especially now the roads are getting more greasy and wet. The 2.5 is a lot nose heavier so I reckon Quattro would make it a lot more sure footed. As for fuel consumption the 2.5 is supposed to be a lot more thirsty in 2WD form compared to a 1.9. Best bet would be to get a 1.9 quattro and get it chipped. Then you get performance and economy in one package.

Correct me if I am wrong any 2.5 owners out there!!!

As for cruise I think it is standard on all SE models.

John

Also something to point out..... the 2.5 comes in different power versions. FWD is 150bhp (163bhp in later models) and the Quattro is 180bhp

thats only in b6, in the b5 they are all 150 bhp
i have fwd, its fine other than if you boot it on greasy roads.
Quattro if you can. I imagine the 1.9 quattro isn't all that quick (in b5 form) and may struggle for towing.

Suspension isnt really a problem as i will change it when i find a car i like. The 2.5 V6 TDi can be chipped to 200PS with 450Nm torque so i am looking at the 2.5 now.

I also think quattro is what i will be looking for as i stay off main roads and in winter sometimes have problems getting to work. As for MPG anything around 30-35 will be fine.

Anyone know what power output AMD get out of the 2.5 V6 TDI?
Whick models have black leather?

Thanks for the comments and info

Craig

was at AMD yesterday for rolling road day. mine got 160.6 bhp and 230.4 ib/ft DO NOT buy a tuning box, it made hardly any difference to figures.
They told me to expect 180-190 bhp and around 280 ib/ft after a remap.
And that will make a huge difference as teh torque feels quite strong anyway

wont get 200 bhp from just a remap, the weak point on this engine is the fuel pump, you would need hybrid turbo, intercoolers and full exhaust to get over 200 bhp.

Im also looking for a 2.5TDi and will be looking for a remap once i have the car. So you suggest a Quattro Sport? I will be looking at one around model year 1999 (not sure on the model codes as not had an Audi before is it b5?)

Again any other help would be appreciated (dont mean to hi-jack the thread, just similar interest.
Thanks guys and gals

After driving quattro for 9 years firstly 1.9 tdi Q then 2.5 TDi q ( 180 ) and now 2.0 TDi q ( 170 ) and various 2wd loan cars when mine were in for service I find 2wd frightning in the wet . Thought of 163 bhp and more importantly all that torque on wet roads well it would it would be almost like a BMW ! sell your soul and go quattro you will not regret it !

Ian

KKK26 said:
I am looking to buy a 2.5 V6 TDI SE soon but wondering if there is much point going for the Quattro over the FWD models.

It will be used to tow sometimes but looking for decend MPG.

Do all SE's have cruise control or was it an optional extra with the SE?

Any info regarding tuning,specs and problems with the above model would be a great help.

Thanks Craig
I get around 33mpg with quattro sport, 2wd will see nearer 43. Driving gently may get you to high 30s, but with the power/grin factor available its difficult to back off
The chip has added a lot of torque and it wasn't exactly lacking before. The chip has also improved but not eliminated the typical 2.5TDi hole in the power below 1800rpm, it now starts to pull from 14-1500. This may cause you to slip the clutch when pulling away and towing, once you are moving there will be no problem. Mine will run along at tickover in 6th mind.
I've put nearly 35000 miles on the car now, and have driven quite hard in the wet and still struggle to get the traction control light to come on. My 2wd Passat would slide around in the wet on the same roads at lower speeds, especially at the front end. You are further north than me and snow is more likely to be an issue. I would rather have 4wd than 2wd, but the Audi is no match in the snow for the Discovery I had before. Someone else pointed out that 4wd may be better getting the power down when towing , as loading the rear of the car will lighten the front end which will not help a fwd 2wd which i agree with.
Cruise wasn't a priority option for me, I only use it on the motorway North of Preston and on the continent. Helps me avoid speed traps on the A9 by keeping my speed DOWN though.
Get Xenons if you can, they are a worthwhile extra, as are front driving/fog lamps.
Make sure the alignment of all 4 wheels is done, some people don't know the rears can be adjusted.
Lumbar adjustment in front seats is very worthwhile if you are doing long trips.
Hope this helps

QUATTRO is the only way forward, thats what im after next again.

my last one saved me many times as im a stupidly fast driver,

I have bought a 2.5 TDi Avant Quattro Sport. Just gotta wait for it to arrive. Roll on monday!

Having done about 2000 miles in a new 2.7TDi A6 Avant S Line which i have on loan while the dings are being knocked out of mine, I can fervently say Quattro. Having found the handbook I now know this 2WD has 177hp and the traction control is on frequently, and the handling is noticeably inferior., especially in the wet.

Well collected my quattro today. In comparison to my previous 2wd cars, this feels awesome. Lauch from the lights with no hint of issues. Love it!