Better running with different MAF sensor?

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought via Ebay a Pierburg MAF sensor for my A4 TDi 110 as I had been told by the previous owner of my car it had received a new MAF sensor but he had lost the invoice......
Worried that it might have been a cheapo one I bought the Pierburg one as it even came with a little torx-style bit to be able to remove the sensor....something I didn't have before and so had been unable to get the old one out to see what make it was.
It turned out that the old sensor was a Bosch and the Pierburg went straight in with no problem.
This brings me to my question, with the new Pierburg sensor the engine really does seem much more flexible, before with the Bosch sensor the car would struggle to do 30mph in 5th gear without hunting, now in 5th at 30 the car is fine.....
Anyone else noticed a difference with different sensors? I don't think the Bosch sensor was faulty as it was only about 6 months old (supposedly) when I removed it, but the car does seem to run better with the Pierburg one......

No idea on the MAFs but why would you be in 5th at 30? I wouldn't be higher than 3rd at that speed. The car is much more responsive and it doesn't really affect MPG that much. I've also read that driving a diesel at such low revs can soot up the turbo.

Maybe as you half suspected the MAF hadn't been replaced and was on the way out anyway. I put a Pierburg on my old 110hp Passat TDi and it worked as well as the previous Bosch, no significant difference.

Macduff said:
No idea on the MAFs but why would you be in 5th at 30? I wouldn't be higher than 3rd at that speed. The car is much more responsive and it doesn't really affect MPG that much. I've also read that driving a diesel at such low revs can soot up the turbo.

I don't go around on the whole doing 30 mph in 5th!!!!
Just using that as an example of how much more tractable the car seems to be....
Before the sensor change there's no way it would have taken 5th at such a low speed, now there's no problem!
Perhaps the sensor hadn't been changed by the previous owner, but am glad I took the gamble and got the Pierburg one.....

You've started a how slow can i go contest now. Mine will plod along at 800rpm tick over in 6th, about 26mph, and will slowly pull away without any shudder or glitch.

Removed mine at the w/e to clean it - it's a Pierburg. Having cleaned it (just by squirting lots of contact cleaner through the gauze on to the sensor) car is possibly more responsive, but more noticably doesn't cut the turbo over 3k rpm which it occasionally used to. Didn't notice any torx screws though?!

And the road leading to where I live has ****** speed bumps and a 20 mph limit. I can pop the car in fourth, and trundle along with my foot off the accelerator at (what appears to be) exactly 20 mph.

Can someone give us an idea where to find the MAF sensor? I've no idea even where to look. While idling in trafic the car sometimes gives a shudder - like someone walked over it's grave. Anyhow I'd like to check the MAF sensor as I don't think it has ever been changed on my car. Thanks.

necroeire said:
Can someone give us an idea where to find the MAF sensor? I've no idea even where to look. While idling in trafic the car sometimes gives a shudder - like someone walked over it's grave. Anyhow I'd like to check the MAF sensor as I don't think it has ever been changed on my car. Thanks.

Straight after your air-filter direction inlet manifold, you will see a jobby doodle with 2 torx screws with a pip in the middle and a cable going to it!

I use a pair pliers to undo mine which I take out and clean very carefully with cotton buds and petrol.The first time I cleaned it was after buying the car and discovering a massive flat spot after 3000 revs after cleaning it was like finding another 80bhp and no flat spot!!tried it on the wife's New beetle but it didn't work so had to buy a new one (£70) and again wow what a difference it made even she noticed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm completly think when it comes to finding parts in the motor, can you post a pic please of where to find it?

quick query on the subject of this thread

just recently my yellow ecu light has come after a noticeable hiccup? in revs

this has happened 3 or 4 times now usually at around 2.5-3k revs and at any temp

the light has gone off after restarting a couple of times then come on again after another couple of journeys

was thinking of just giving the MAF a good clean with some brake cleaner ( any other suggestions ) but all other MAF threads have not mentioned the ecu light coming on

its due into audi for a lower suspension arm soon but could do w/out another bill for the sake of getting mucky hands for an hour

edit : no noticeable power loss

anybody ??

necroeire said:
I'm completly think when it comes to finding parts in the motor, can you post a pic please of where to find it?

Sorry mate!

Got you a pic of a maf sensor but I can't get it onto forum for you!!

copy the Img bar and you will get pic on thread
MAF.jpg