What fuel economy do you get?

necroeire

Reaction score
I have an A4 1.9TDi 130bhp and to be honest I have no idea as to what I'm getting. What does everyone get? What is the A4 1.9TDi spec for economy?

My work colleague tells me his Honda Accord 2.0 Petrol will have better fuel economy than my A4, what a nutter. Need some numbers to crush him with.

If he drives it at average honda speed he may well be correct, but if he gets it out of pensioner mode then no chance.

treblesykes said:
If he drives it at average honda speed he may well be correct, but if he gets it out of pensioner mode then no chance.

So so so true!!! next is the rover drivers...!!!
:salute: :salute: :salute:

I tend to get around 40mpg. Not really as good as I was expecting. I've seen over 55mpg on the DIS but that tankful worked out at about 47mpg and that was all 90% motorway and dual-carriageway on a trip from Bedford to NE Scotland.

The official combined mpg is 48.7 but they don't differentiate between the SE and Sport models. I think that the 235 tyres must make a difference to the mpg compared with the standard 205s

My A4 is older (its a '99 110 bhp and its also an Avant, so probably have a slight weight disadvantage too...) but got around 48-49 mpg when first acquired, this is overall consumption,mainly motorway speeds.
After having fitted a diesel tuning module the economy worsened by about 2mpg, though think that was due to taking advantage of the extra power available!
Have changed job location recently and route to work is now nearly all fast A-roads, and economy has improved to about 48-49mpg again....
Did a recent round-trip in one day of 450 miles,doing a constant 70ish and found it did 52mpg on that trip which made me very happy......

From my 98 2.5 TDi I get 39.5mpg round town and my best on a longish run (100miles) is 55.6mpg. The average is about 45. I'm truely impressed by this as the beast of an engine is literally double the power of my last 1.9 td Audi 80 and that never managed 50mpg!!

ps - the 179k might mean the engine is nice and loose :)

i have a 2.0TDI 170 A3 and since i've had it, i'm averaging just over 45 (sanity checked the DIS with old fashioned manual calcs at fill ups and it seems accurate) and on longer/motorway runs it returns about 52 without needing to hang around. i truly love this engine.

i've not been that far it it and i'm looking forward to it againg a treat :)

I get around 40mpg on average in my A6 1.9TDi 130 - long motorway gives about 42/43, all town about 37/38. It's a 6sp manual, though, which has around 10% worse fuel economy (but more torque) than the 5sp, according to the official Audi figures. Great engine, great car.

Remapped 2.0TDI A3. DIS after every 20-30mile motorway run @ 80-90mph avg speed - 53-57! mpg

i did a lot of motorway travelling the other week and calculated for myself what my average mpg was, i was trying to see what i could get and was driving to speed limits to get the results :

Miles Per Gallon 60.18
Kilometers Per Litre 21.21
Litres Per 100 Kilometers 4.71
Cost Per Mile £0.07
Cost Per Kilometer £0.04
Annual Fuel Costs £1040

Audi A3 TDI 130

http://www.mileagecalculator.co.uk/petrol.shtml

A4 TDI 130 BHP

100 miles on 16.00 pounds......91.9 pence per litre!!!!!!......very dissapointed, new coolant sensor and no expense spared!!! (town/local driving) around 29 m.p.g!! pathetic!!!

maybe its the 235 45 17"s with only 30 psi all round? looked on the sticker on the door pillar and.....oh feck! 38 psi recommended,dont know if it will make a difference we'll have to try again.

cluelessgoon said:
From my 98 2.5 TDi I get 39.5mpg round town and my best on a longish run (100miles) is 55.6mpg. The average is about 45. I'm truely impressed by this as the beast of an engine is literally double the power of my last 1.9 td Audi 80 and that never managed 50mpg!!

ps - the 179k might mean the engine is nice and loose :)

Compared to your mpg, I must drive like a nutter. the best i have seen on my DIS is 34mpg and i have the 98 V6 2.5tdi too, although I have got the lazy boy, tip Quattro, so that may have something to do with it!

so,how bad does that make mine,and WHY!????????

been told maybe timing's out (cambelt done 9 months ago) cut a long story short my fuel gauge was not working then,it is now working,i solved the gauge problem and have a working fuel gauge for the last 2 months.

So i decided/noticed car was heavy on fuel and renewed maf sensor and coolant sensor and had the car scaned and there are no faults logged.
the guy who did the cambelt did not use a tools to lock the cam/pulleys, instead he marked all the pullys with the usual "TIPEX" and then took the old belt and tensioner off,and the new one went back on,he then rotated the engine by hand twice made sure the marks/tipex lined up and put it back together.

Now ive been told cause he didn't use locking tools,timing may be out very slightly,is this possible? ive still got plenty of power,car drives spot on,black smoke upon reving hard is present but nothing out of the ordinary. THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THE CAR IS FUEL CONSUMPTION!
it only does 100 miles on 17.41 litres local town driving around 26 mpg.
if timing was out i would of said: starting problems,excessive smoke,and not running or performing properly,not just bad mpg!! any suggestions?

is it worth me paying again to strip the car again to find out if timing's out?:faint:

I've got a 1997 A4 1.9 TDI Avant. It never goes less than 650miles to a tank, which I think works out at around 58mpg. And no, I don't drive like a pensioner!

In my A4 with 110 VE engine i get an average 45mpg towing a car on a heavy twin axle tilt bed trailer (long journeys, including motorway)

Average mpg is approx 49-52mpg

Round town 45mpg

I dont use the DIS to calculate mpg as it is a liar.

The older direct injection engines do seem to be a fair bit more economical than the PD engines.

Surely even the most efficient 2.0i Honda Accord will only see around 38mpg.

Mine is 2002 2.5 V6 TDI (155ps) I've averaged 48.4 mpg over the last 10,500 miles / long journeys at 70-75 mph and 50 miles round trip commute on varying roads each day.

clfletch said:
I've got a 1997 A4 1.9 TDI Avant. It never goes less than 650miles to a tank, which I think works out at around 58mpg. And no, I don't drive like a pensioner!

Agree, i have the same (110 redeye) and this has yet to do less than 51mpg and that was with a lot of round town driving. I did 300 miles constant driving on motorway the other day and got nearer the 60 and drive around 80, not slow, but not too fast!

Am v impressed. i've had over 720 miles from a tank, but i was driving like a grandad those 2 days!

timing checked...bang on!! only thing left is fuel temp sensor,any ideas on this guys?

2003 A4 2.5tdi 180 quattro auto

38 mpg general, 40-44mpg on the motorway.

Once got 49mpg! But that was a very slow trip!

Just had it remapped by Chipped UK, we'll see how it does from here.

Gary

My A4 is remapped and it is really economical

If the computer is to be believed i have had no less than 59mpg on a run and i get 800-850 miles from a tank.

Sounds too good to be true

but i do drive like a fanny lol

My 1995 A4 TDi 90bhp saloon, driving lightfooted in town, i get around 48mpg. But then i get on the motorway and put my foot down to 80-100mph, and i also get 48mpg! Doing 60-70mph on the motorway does return around upto 58mpg though. Best ive ever got was 63mpg! My usual expected average miles per tankfull is 620 to 680miles. All only using premium diesel fuel. My mates BMW-3.0L X5 Petrol does 250miles.:sadlike: He still thinks am pulling his leg with my figures.

I had a 1.9tdi PD Passat, and that cost 8 1/2p per mile to run.
My A4 1.9tdi Quattro cost 10ppm.
Most of the mileage was motorway.
I had to work out my mileages and costs for work accurately.
I currently have a BM and that gets about 30mpg (3.0tdi)

Car has just come backfrom having work done at audi, the guy picked the car up and dropped it off, on its return he told me he has never seen such high mpg figures on a 1.9tdi. Apparently he run some sort of check on the car and it said 57mpg. I'm very suprised at this considering its remapped too

I have a 1999 Audi A3 1.9 Tdi Sport (110). It does not give the automatic readout on the dashboard to show what mpg I'm getting, so I calculated it as accurately as I could over a period of a few weeks. It came out at just over 57 mpg, which is from driving on various different roads. This is what the handbook tells you to expect, so I'm happy.

My 2001 130bhp A4 avant with 18's generally averages 40 mpg... not too bad but not great either. thats with a tuning box in it too..

I get 42MPG with a good mix of driving speeds but not a very long journey. I would hope it will be high 40s on a longer run.

There is no way a petrol car with the same power/speed as mine would get the same MPG driven in the same manner as my TDI

Traveled up to Rhyl, N.wales, from just outside cardiff and back twice in the past fortnight and my mpg according to the DIS was 62.2 up 63.8 return on the first journey and 63.4 up and 60.8 on the return back

i do drive like a fanny mind

130hp diesel with a chip thingy fitted

My DIS Says 43.7 MPG.

Don't know if this is trueas I don't trust the DIS

I do get 560 miles per tank with 45 miles range left according to the DIS, so I suppose 600 miles on a full tank is fair.

I have seen 630 miles but that was driving like a fanny to see what I'd get.

You cant really believe what the DIS says if you are running anything other than a standerd car.
It does its calculations on the assumption that everthing is factory.
Chipped or "tuning boxed" cars are injecting more diesel per stroke but the ECU is blind to this.
If you want accurate fuel economy calculations you have to go tank to tank and fill up at the same garage, at the same pump, with your car in the same direction to the click.
You have to reset your trip miles to zero then when filling up again use this number and the amount of litres you brought

mpg = miles /(litres of fuel x 4.545)

This will give you a far better indication of where your car is at!

And if economy is your thing use vagcom to adapt (lower) the amount of fuel per stroke.

this is all very intresting to see what most are getting from theirs
i have been reading about the A4 tdi 130 ( next purchase car)
and most say average 50 mpg , but it doesnt look the case reading all the above:ermm:

My daily commute (72 miles e/w) is spread over the M20, M26, M25 & M3, with about 10 miles of A roads. Going to work i average a true 53-54mpg (DIS 60-64). At the weekend it drops to mid 40's.

A4 B6 130

2.0TDi 170 Quattro Avant - Done 6.5k miles, just about getting an average of 36mpg (450 miles) on a full tank of diesel, even when driving like i'm drivin miss daisy!
Not happy, was hoping for at least 40ish!
Performance isn’t great either!
Want my S4 back!!!! mpg was ***** but kept me smiling!!