New A3 2.0 tdi 170

duncangoncalves

Reaction score
I've just ordered the new 170 bhp version of the 2.0 tdi, I currently have a 2.0 140 sport has anyone else made the move or wanting to get one yet.
I have also ordered the car with Quattro and was wondering if anyone knows just how much power it'll suck from the engine?

My 1.9 130 TDi Q is re mapped to 178 bhp, on the rollers it drops to 121 bhp at the wheels. So drag loss through the transmission and quattro is about 50 bhp.

I guess that there is a 50 bhp loss just in the engine/drivetrain/wheel bearings/ac/brake rub etc etc whatever the power. Obviously, start with more then more will get through after losses.

One thing I will say is that VAG engines are well known to be tight when new and dont ease up until 20k miles when they spin and feel a lot better. Your car will get smoother as you drive it, keep an eye on the mpg in the DIS. It should pick up.

Hope this helps.

im considering a 170, what are they like ?

The 170 Ps TDi really is a superb engine in an A3.

All my friends who have yest driven mine have been very surprised at the performance and general characteristics of the engine, even though its only done just over 5k and not loosened up properly yet.

One friend has driven his Subaru STi daily for over 3 years but again was seriously impressed with the 170Ps engine.

I find it pulls very cleanly from 1200rpm upwards and in economy/cruise mode I change up at 2200rpm. None of my previous diesel engined cars ie Nissan, Mazda and Fords etc have performed so well or even worked so low down the rev range and been so easy and relaxing to drive.

I do like a car with decent performance and recently owned a WRX. In this department the 170Ps engine is grin inducing. It accelerates alot quicker than my friends A6 2.8 Quattro (we drive in convoy alot so is good comparison), and the wife tells me its give her a firm shove in seat under hard acceleration.
I do find the 6 speed box abit notchy at the moment and occasionally find the wrong gear when in play mode and hustling along.

Economy wise with just over 5k on the clock with mixed driving 75% motorway (70-80mph max) 25% urban I get 500 miles to a tank. With the wife driving she gets 550miles +

The thing my friends find most odd about my diesel A3 is that when they are following me my car does not belch clouds of black soot when changing down or accelerating hard.

I test drove quite a few cars including the 140PD TDi A3. Within 5 minutes of driving the 170ps TDi A3, I knew I'd found the car I wanted. Due to delays on supply I bought the dealers demonstrator which they'd only owned for 3 weeks!!! :thumbsup:

Ive had mine a week now I got a S-line quattro (170) only got 600 miles on it so far so not really pushed it but the drive is loads better my last car was a 140 sport 02 reg and i thought that was good this blows it out of the water.
so much smoother and quieter :)