A6 engine transplant 1.9tdi to 2.5tdi? Help plz

evomaster3000

Reaction score
Ok My a6 has decided to not like 4th gear! and also my clutch is on it's way out, that added to the fast i need some work done to the engine (160000miles covered)
I've known my clutch has been on it's way out and i've been told that whe syncromesh is going on 4th as it's jumping out of it = recon box £££

So i've decided to take it off the road and cos i've spent over £5k on it go for the engine i want so i'm looking at transplating a 2.5v6 tdi from an a6 or a4 with box in to it.

What i need to know is which cars came with compatable v6tdi's which would fit, and the power outputs of them as i'd be looking at the 150bhp version.

Mines a 1998 1.9tdi 110bhp AFN looking to be taken out, I'd like to get hold of a written off rear ended donor car hopefully which would supply everything.

Basicially any info on the v6tdi's would be great, thanks

That is interesting ...i have the same problem with my gearbox not jumping out of gear but when traveled for a while putting in to 4th gear you have to make sure the revs are low or it is crunchy...sync problem of course

if you get details of swap could you post what is needing done as this would be an opition i would like to go down engine has 235,000 on the clock but still going strong but sure that will not last for ever

Cheers

You could find maybe find the answer by looking through etka for the engine exact eignine and gearbox that would have been fitted to your car, then looking at other simmilar ones ie see what engine was fitted to the A4. The slight catch is that etka just uses generic drawings for the parts, so the only way to compare is through the part numbers. Might be a long task... You might be better just tracking down an a6 2.5tdi in a scrappy then just working out what is different by looking at it.

This probably isn't much help to you really :shrug:

AFAIK up to about 2000 all V6 tdis were 150bhp. You're best bet must be a whole donor car from around the same year as yours. You could start needing a subframe, shocks, brakes, driveshafts, exhaust - I don't know but all these things could be different for the bigger, torquier V6.
If yours isn't a quattro then you probably don't want a quattro, although lots of V6 tdis are quattro.
Maybe speak to All Audi in Bristol: http://www.allaudi.co.uk/

They're breaking Audis all day long and may be able to offer help/advice or even a donor.

Cheers griffter, very useful info, i will check all audi in bristol as i'm only 15 miles away from bristol.
So basicially an older a6 v6tdi wud fit in? the exhaust is the same from centrebox as my ss system is for the 1.8t 1.8 and 2.5tdi

Yeah i'm thinking whole car better bet then just swap all the bits as needed.

I will keep u posted, may take a while to save the pennies for this work to be done tho!

just a thought, would it be easier to put a 130PD 4cyl engine in?, same size block / engine mounts?? then chip it to above the 2.5tdi output.
i think for straighforward performance the 1.9 130 is a better bet than the 2.5..lighter and PD. but more refinement with the 6 cyl..
keep us posted
Chas

yeah well after some research i'm going to spend the money on my engine as i've managed to source a 41000 mile box for under £300, the clutch will also be done at the same time, new cambelt, tensioners, get the tappets done and anything else my mechanic ses needs doing as this should all cost less than £1K, which is better than the £2K mark i was looking at for a transplant of any type