Noises When Turning Steering

madmonzsta

Reaction score
Hi all, I have suddenly developed a weird rumbling sound coming just behind the dashboard steering wheel (not the engine). its disappears when driving but as soon as i am idle I can hear it. This is not all, when stopped & engine on & I turn the steering wheel to the left or right, it has started to give a juddering rumbling sound. I have checked to see if there is enough PAS fluid & there is. Could it be PAS pump or something else ?

I have an Audi A3 TDI 130 2002.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not sure about the first one i'm afraid, could be something loose behind the dash vibrating?

The second issue sounds like a c.v joint problem, you shoule be able to check it quite easily, how many miles have you done?

Mike

mine does this occasionally. i think the power steering system may need bleeding as its the pump being staved when the airlock reaches it.

madmonzsta said:
107,000 the noise behind the dash coincided with the noise coming from the wheels being turned.

ok, if the noises are related that probably won't be the c.v joint

As suggested above after 107000 miles it might also be worth changing the fluid used in the power steering system and see if that sorts the problem out.

Mike