Vegetable oil

jackiechan

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using veggie oil in their audi diesel?

Is it also different for modern diesel cars?

Im a farmer growing oilseed rape (those field of yellow flowers for the non farming types) for proccessing into road fuel, whats really needed is a duty cut on these types of fuel to encourage more take up. vag cars are very compatible with biodiesel it is used much more widely in germany than here.
I believe biofuels are the way forward for farming,fuel and environment and are becoming more sensible everytime the oil prices rise.
lets face it electric and hydrogen vehicles are still using carbon fuels in an indirect manner. hybrid cars seem to be a popular fad that dont quite deliver on there promises, unless your traveling short urban routes or down hill all the way have little benefits over a traditional car. once the battery is flattened then you are doubling emmisions travelling and recharging battery at same time. I guess the main thing learnt from a hybrid is that the braking energy needs to be captured instead of converted to heat by the brakepads.

Guy's don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but this is very illegal and it's not the police who come calling it's customs and excise. These jumped up henchmen for Mr Brown can come and go as they please through your life without needing a reason or warrant. A bunch of blokes got done from the South Wales area for running there car on chip oil, I kid you not, going into ASDA buying up the crisp'n dry and topping up the tank. Down side is I'm lead to believe that the car smells like a chip shop. There is a plus side to this though, if you don't pay for the oil you don't have to pay duty on the oil, say used filtered oil from a chip shop the owner is happy as it costs him less to get rid of old oil if he doesn't have to get rid of it

[ QUOTE ]
Im a farmer growing oilseed rape (those field of yellow flowers for the non farming types) for proccessing into road fuel, whats really needed is a duty cut on these types of fuel to encourage more take up. vag cars are very compatible with biodiesel it is used much more widely in germany than here.
I believe biofuels are the way forward for farming,fuel and environment and are becoming more sensible everytime the oil prices rise.
lets face it electric and hydrogen vehicles are still using carbon fuels in an indirect manner. hybrid cars seem to be a popular fad that dont quite deliver on there promises, unless your traveling short urban routes or down hill all the way have little benefits over a traditional car. once the battery is flattened then you are doubling emmisions travelling and recharging battery at same time. I guess the main thing learnt from a hybrid is that the braking energy needs to be captured instead of converted to heat by the brakepads.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't be the farm on the A64 near the highwayman cafe would it????

I have a mate who tells me how you work it: use the replacement oil, write to customs, TELL them, include a cheque, it still works out cheaper, and apparently they cannot process the payment anyway (?!), but you are covered legally if you do that.

Dont know how true that is..

however, there are so many sites that deal with this, that a quick search gives a lot of answers..

In summary, (as I understand it from a look a while back) while some older, simpler and non-turbo diesels (why non-turbo Im not sure, cant see how that would affect it really!) can theoretically run on a good proportion of replacement oil, almost all modern lumps couldnt cope with more than a 5% mix, and even that will degrade all the silicon and rubber seals over time.. which is why official conversions cost loads, they replace every seal with metal ones etc..

I dont think id risk it in mine! and if those details are correct then while i really like the concept, it just doesnt seem worth it!

The little French minicars you see over there, the driving licence free ones with their 500cc diesel lumps, i understand they run very well on it!!

its perfectly legal so long as you declare how much you've used and pay the appropriate duty. Customs have no way of knowing how long you've been using it or how much you've used, so how much you declare is a bit of a grey area.
careful though - when cold, veggie oil is much thicker than diesel and will put an additional load on your pump. some pumps are better than others and will cope with the thicker oil, some arent. There are kits out there to heat the fuel line so the veggie oil is thinner when it enters the pump and the injectors causing less stress on the pump. self install heater kits are available from
http://www.dieselveg.com/

just a word of warning, as far as I know it's only the distributor type diesel engines which will run on bio-diesel. high pressure pump jet engines i.e. VAG PD units do not like bio-diesel, as far as I know.

i found a small place selling duty paid rape seed oil for 70 p a ltr they give you a sticker to show the customs if they pull you and its all above board..........ive been running on it now for 6 months and there is no diffrence in performance the viscosity is identical to diesel some people ive spoken to say there car seems quicker i personaly think they are driving it harder because its cheap i fill mine to the brim and it costs me £36 the only thing is the smell????? just keep the windows up

70p/L sounds quite expensive i thought around lpg price would be more likely reasonable

I used this for 80,000 miles in my last car and it never caused any trouble at all other than deposits on the back of the car, now I have a silver car it really shows up, only an old flannel and white spirit will get it off paintwork, numberplate and lights. :eek:(

At risk of resurrecting what seems to have become a dead thread...

Does anybody have any experiences running on part vegetable oil mixed with diesel from the pump? I've got a 2002 A4 2.5TDI and I would put biodiesel in without worrying, but not straight vegetable oil, in case I gum everything up. Am I worrying unneccessarily?

Regarding the duty payable on vegetable oil, as jonplace says, it's perfectly legal, provided you make entry of your premises (ie. tell the governent you're keeping a diesel substitute fuel there), and send them a statement each month and a cheque.
Everything you need to know about the forms and the accounting is in Notice 179E at Revenue and Customs http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/

So, anyone running on part veggie oil?

I have done mix but got lazy with it ......My pump is the older style ..i think the newer ones need adjustment to run straight veg oil

Does anyone know any suppliers around the northamptonshire/hertfordshire/yorkshire area?

Yeah tried that site but no joy! Im gonna check out the ones near York when I travel up ther for crimbo but they arent that much cheaper are they?

Meatychi:

Saw a biodiesel outlet off the York ring road on the road towards Scarborough last weekend. Hope that helps.

I'm not bothered about smelling like a chippy!

As long as my exhaust doesnt start spewing out scraps.

I'm gonna pop into the place near York over crimbo and give it a wurl!

my old car was aturbo d peugeot but will be tring the vega oil on the a3 there is a kit on eaby at the moment that a guy had fitted to his golf might be worth a look at

I run my B5 AVG on veg oil , its £15 for 20 liters of KTCs finest.
It runs and starts fine on pure oil but it is quite smokey so i mix with some Derv or bio diesel .
It Pulls a lot more , defiantly an increase in torque , i think the timing changes a bit as it sounds more chuggy and off beat.

I have been looking at mods to help it start but they have issues , and it seems to be fine with none , the only mod i have done is changed the blocked fuel filter.