Audi 80 1.9 TDi - intermittent loss of power

horlix

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 1994 Audi 80 1.9 TDi which suffers from a loss of power/hesitancy at full throttle, intermittently, at about 2000-3000 rpm. It seems to happen more frequently when pulling up a hill in 2nd. I've read back through all the similar problems in this section which tend to point to a problem with the MAF sensor unit.

The turbo is still operating (a distinctive whine is noticeable, changing tone as revs increase). I have disconnected the MAF as a test and a distinct loss of power is noticed, proving that (for the most part at least) it is functioning correctly.

I'm ashamed to say that my knowledge of car mechanics is non existent, so what I'm after if possible is a list of components to check in the order that would seem most likely to be the cause of the problem. I can't seem to find a Haynes manual or similar for this model, so a description of the location of each suspect part would be very useful to me!

So is my next step to disconnect the hose containing the MAF, locate a sensor of some sort and ensure that it is clean?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark.