Diesel Additives

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
Im on the road every day with work and basically its handier for me to fill up at supermarkets. I was thinking of using a fuel additive of some sort

I saw the Millers Diesel Power EcoMax, its basically a fuel system cleaner, cleans injectors and claims to boost cetane rating by 4 points.

Millers%20Diesel%20Ecomax%20500ml.jpg

Do you think this is any good? Also how much would you put into a tank? it says that it treats 10 tanks, but for all there is in the bottle, it must be a very small amount

I used this stuff for about a year and didn't notice any difference, Terraclean looks like it does what it says on the tin, thinking about getting mine done soon

Ive used this on all my VAG diesels for 8 years, I "believe in it" if you like, it makes them definitely run cleaner, much much less chimney sweeping when you accelerate, it gives you a few more mpg and you can tell the difference between my car that runs it and my brothers identical car that doesnt.

Probably if you work it out the few more mpg would offset the price of the millers to even out, but it visibly reduces crap out the back so i think its worth it for me, if it offsets the price then Im essentially running it at no extra cost anyway.

The dilution ratio is 1000:1 so 50ml for 50l of diesel

In my humble opinion there is no excuse for putting supermarket fuel in your car and then trying to 'make it better' with an additive

Forget this and get some diesel rhino.

I tried the millers out for a full bottle a couple of years ago on my bora, and noticed no difference at all. With the diesel rhino I noticed far less diesel knock, and smoke. Even when giving it some beens I hardly see any black smoke out of the back end.
As for mpg I can't really say as I don't keep track tbh, and I've used it from day one on the Audi, but other people who use it seem to get a few extra mpg's.

In my humble opinion there is no excuse for putting supermarket fuel in your car and then trying to 'make it better' with an additive

Try doing 40k miles a year at sub 40mpg then you might see the point...

For what it's worth, I fill at the cheapest, but it's not always supermarkets- In Swindon it's Esso or Shell (can't remember to be exact) near the Old Bill station on the A420, In Christchurch (home) it's easier to fill up on the way to work on the A31 just outside Ringwood at Pickett Post and reasonable price (also Esso or Shell) btu sometimes the Texaco has very good deals at Ringwood which work out cheaper then tescos. Unless I have a money off fuel voucher which needs using up, but I save them for when the van needs filling up as it has a bigger tanks.

I use Diesel Rhino too and it does what it says on the bottle. My old Golf 130 tdi was 5mpg better on it, and the T5 van (same engine ish) is a few mpg better too and both quieter. Not so good result on the Nissan Xtrail but that's shagged... When I get the Audi it will have Rhino in too and see how it goes.

You read lots of forums and you'll hear someone who knows the fuel delivery guy and he says they're all the same, but the premium fuels put an additive in. So what's the difference on adding it yourself to Tescos basic fuel? It works out at an extra 1.5p or so a litre at fill up for Rhino IIRC which is a big saving over the 10p+ they want for the superfuels down here in ripoff land. No brainer really...

Indeed it is- I am using 2 stroke in my XTrail and it's great for cleaning and of course shutting up noisy injectors...

I've been using Miller's for the past few months, can't say I've noticed any difference in mpg, anyone got a link or can tell me where to buy Rhino so I can give it a try.