1.9 tdi any more power without silly money?

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
Hi there :),

i drive a 2000 a4 tdi 1.9 tdi, originally 115 bhp but was making 118 on the rollers.

i had it mapped which got it to 151bhp at 3000 and 380nm at 2600. Obviously this made a big difference.

since then I've had egr delete, both back box and middle box cut out. I've heard this can find an extra 5bhp and 10lb ft so I'm estimating I'm running maybe 155 and approx 390 now.

I'm most interested in 30-70 runs which in 3rd gear I've timed a best of 6.6, and a worst of 7.0. Any ideas how I can get abit better in gear times without turbo upgrade etc? I've tried premium diesel for about 5 tanks which did seem to make it rev abit better but made no difference in timed runs so perhaps it's in my mind. I've ditched spare and a few other things to take approx 25kg of weight out, any suggestions? I've heard rotational mass weight reduction from wheels makes a difference but it's expensive to change all the wheels as I'm a student lol so any budget ideas?

many thanks

Hybrid turbo and bigger injector nozzles would be the only effective thing left,but you might need the head bolts off a 150 to keep the head strapped down.
But if you have ruled out a different/ modified turbo I don't think it leaves much left.

Thanks for the reply, the cars done 215k miles so spending a lot isn't worth it really.

I could fit a decat, should hold the power for longer shouldn't it?

I think you've done about the right amount of lower cost mods for that particular engine and mileage, I have found that a decat lowers the exhaust backpressure which in turn helps the turbo pick up speed / acceleration quicker.

Yeah I'm pretty set on the decat.

I've just found my intake duct has a cracked piece missing somehow so I've ordered one from a 2.5 tdi, hopefully will fit and with a larger opening, will let it flow better.