audi 80 tdi 93 intermittent power loss

asda

Reaction score
help meeeeee...i've just bought an audi 80 tdi 164k to smoke to work in.
it's in mint nick & runs good but occassionally when accellerating at 2000 rpm and again at 3000prm the power flattens off completely.

whats that all about???

i'm new to oil burning smoke emitting engines so explain in laymans terms.

im currently getting 45mpg ...is this good??

any help gratefully received....dave price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Hello Asda,

Have a search on here (or just flick onto page 2 of the diesel forum). Plenty of posts about flat spots, answers ranging from MAF to EGR Valve...

Kev.

cheers kev ...is the maf located in the air box ???

and is the egr valve on top of the manifold???

again any help gratefully received.

i also run a merc a class which i'm fully versed on so if any one is running an aclass n having any probs just mail me

cheers Dave Price

Sorry Dave, I know very little about the TDi engine (only owned one for 7 months and 18K miles) so search on here or hope someone else can help!

MAF is generally just after the airbox, it'll have an electrial conector on it so should be easily identified.

We had a great post about the EGR valve a while back but it was lost in a server problem we had. Again I hope someone can jump in on this if you can't find the info elsewhere using the search.

Kev.

The MAF is located in the pipe from the airbox to the manifold, from memory the sensor is sealed into a pipe that is bolted to the airbox at one end and jubilee clipped to the air inlet hose at the other. There is an electrical connection to the MAF sensor.
The EGR valve releases exhaust gas back into the air inlet for recombustion to keep the exhaust clean(er). It's a silvery grey circular fitting with a valve body underneath it, bolted to the intake manifold. There is a small rubber pipe running from the top of the circular bit.
Would give you a photo but don't have the car any more. Try www.tdiclub.com for more info than you can handle, there are huge amounts of info there.