TDi cambelt change-waterpump replacement too?

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
As the cambelt on my A4 is now due for renewal within the next week or two am on the verge of getting my local Audi Centre to do the job...
They now advise me that as well as new cambelt/tensioner/ idler pulley(s) it would be wise to replace the waterpump and all auxilliary drivebelts too...
Does this sound like good advice?
Having read about poor quality waterpumps on recent A4's I 'm a little nervous now.......my '94 80 TDi Avant reached 213K (when I sold it) still on the original waterpump, so as my A4 is on a 'mere' 117K I'm in need of a little persuasion that its the right thing to do......

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not sure on what's involved with a TDI engine, but most recommend having the water pump changed at the same time as it's a very small material cost compared to the labour cost you're paying to have it all taken apart.

Read here for one of many threads which recommend it.

Kev.

Very sound advice as a huge chunk of the cost is the labour involved in dismantling and reassembling the front of the car which has to be done to get at the belt/tensioner etc. and also to get at the water pump.

You wouldn't want to pay that again if your car's water pump should fail just after you'd had the belt replaced.

Clever owners have the pump replaced every time the belt is done; the pump isn't very expensive by comparison with the labour cost - I can't find my last invoice which has the pump on.

Thanks for the replies, that was their rationale, don't replace water pump now and find that 6 months down the line the same amount of labour as doing a cambelt will be needed just to replace a dodgy pump...
As pump is only £26 exchange think will go for it.....having read the link above think will also get thermostat changed too.....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif