WANTED 2.5 tdi cam cover / injector seal/s (getting them custom made)

audi2.5tdi

Reaction score
Does any one have an old cam cover with the injector seals/grommets or just the old grommets on there own they will sell me so I can take them to a local place and have them price up making a batch of the injector grommets as the ones on my car are totally fubar, and they are not available separately

if they can do them (they cant see why they couldnt!) i can get a bunch made up to sell to others instead of buying new covers at £95 each from the stealers

they need either a drawing with dimms or an original to copy and as I use my car daily cant remove one from mine

I have a pair you can have for a tenner each + postage but i will be reluctant to pull the grommets as they are kinda glued to the cover !

are they usable? (cant be any worse than mine!) i could bung them on mine and strip the seals out of my covers....

They were of a good running engine, throw a pair of cam rocker gaskets and they should see you well !

cool, pm me payment details and cost with P&P to TN85AJ (Edenbridge in Kent)

Let us know how you get on with this - mine have all seen better days too.

i will do, once i get the replacement covers I will strip mine down and get them over to the place that can make them, i think theres likely to be a minimum number and im sure there are plenty of people in the same boat as us

Reactions: PAULF
Massive thanks to adamss24 for sending me a pair of cam covers to replace the knackered injector seals on my origional ones..

managed to change one today on cylinders 1-3, pretty straight forward job, no need to disturb the fuel pump lines, just undo from the top of the injector and pull back a little, new cover gasket fitted and all put back together (did one side at a time as in my logic I had a better chance of getting it started with less air in the system) took 2 slightly extended cranks to fire up

Now have an old seal in hand and measure with the vernier ready to get over to the place that custom makes grommets to get sets priced up for others..

Did however discover something rather disturbing... see below

can you remove and replace the gears on the end of the camshaft? are the heated and pressed on or part of the camshaft?

Good to hear they got to you alright ! The gears are not replaceable unfortunately so you might need to replace the cam with the chipped gear...

should be down at the place tomorrow to get the quote for making them, im hoping they arent to expensive, might have to get a fair few made to bring the cost down, but when you consider the cost of a pair of new covers (£95 each) when i rang audi! so £190 for 2 pieces of pressed steel and 6 rubber grommets, even if they are £5 each thats a considerable saving

i will post up the results, and costs and gauge interest before proceeding as if i need to have a large number made thats a fair investment on my part

yeah i did an exhaustive search, having removed and measured with a micrometer and digital vernier the "grommet" I couldnt find anything even close, alot of rubber grommets are made for firewalls for wiring to pass through, and as you say these need to be fuel and oil resistant, withstand heat and i would guess some pressure so the material is important

the other thing having taken all the measurements the grommet is not just a plain grommet, theres a couple of angled edges inside to seal against the injector body, it must also be a tight fit into the cover, so i think it would need to be an exact or very close match to be of any use

the set of covers that I recently bought are in excellent condition, so i no longer have the need for these so if they are to expensive or nobodys interested im happy to abandon the concept, although im guessing there is or will be plenty of people in the future with V6 tdis as they all seem to share the same or similar cover with the same issue we are experiencing

once ive got the price and numbers i will need to have made ill report back

I'm sure there'll be plenty of call - just not maybe all at once. just have to ask the guy who starting producing a piston ring kit for the Allroad suspension air compressor because Audi would only sell him a new pump! Seems to have sold a fair few considering how niche it is.

Anyway, providing they're not silly money, put me down for a set. Only one leaking now but i'm sure the rest will follow.

have now heard back from 2 companies with the same answer, "we cant help you with this" one company suggested the tooling would be around £1500-1800 and then would give me a price per unit for 600/1200/1800/2400 etc

and i had an email 2 days ago (this after a 1 hour detour on the way to my workshop with the origional)

"Hi Keith,

We have had a look at the sample you provided. Unfortunately, this is not a job we could undertake.

Regards,
Mark Boorsma
Sales
Grommets Ltd"

i havent given up just yet, ive still got a couple of other avenues to explore, will keep you all posted

Reactions: PAULF