TDi more responsive after battery disconnect and reconnect

nlldavies

Reaction score
While trying to sort out a electric window/mirrors and interior light problem I decided to see if reseting the ECUs on the car by disconnecting the battery would help solve the problem.

After reconnecting and driving the car I found it quite a lot more responsive. Any reason for this?

Thanks

Hi

Certain A6 V6tdi I think Pre 2000 (Ours for example and I think certain A3's have this problem with uneven tick over)) have a problem with their engine management system making them noisy and slightly rough to drive with the long term solution being to go to Audi give them loads of money and get them to reprogrammed the ECU.
Short term solution is to wait a minute after having run the car or from cold,disconnect the battery for about a minute,reconnect and the ECU which should reinstalled all running settings from factory default.
Over time it gets noisy/rough again as the various sensors send info to the ECU which as the engine management programme is dickey advances the timing a little for example and hence the noise/less smooth!

I had to disconnect the battery today (to get access down the side of battery) and now the cars appears to be LESS powerful. not hesitant or flat spots, just generally not as powerful??

Just cleaned the MAF last week and what difference, nw suddenly all that power gain has gone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Check that you haven't disturbed any of those little black plastic tubes going to your mini-vacuum pumps behind the engine on the bulk head.

I once inadvertently disconnected one and the old V6 wouldn't rev over 2500,simply pushed it back on to it's connection and that sorted that!