2.5TDi V6 quattro Sport 180hp Turbochip

Stroll on thats pretty rapid! It would certainly smoke mine from 40-100 mph, that was extremely impressive!

I was also impressed how well it pulled into the red line, mine's all out of go at about 4200 rpm, and there's certainly no benefit in going into the red like yours seemed to give.

40-50 1.2 sec
50-60 1.6 sec
60-70 1.6 sec
70-80 2.3 sec (i am crap at gearchanges)
80-90 2.1 sec (see told you)
90-100 2.7 sec
100 -110 3.7 sec
110-118 2.8sec

Short reality check. Only one turbo thus why balancer pipe? Downpipe will have to be 75mm. Therefore back to plan A ie 75 straight through if we can figure a way to get it through the rear axles. Arthur Guiness has a lot to answer for, my brain was definitely still in Thursday night Dublin when i went around on Friday. Back to the workshop and up on the ramp for a closer look on Friday.

Had a proper discussion this time.

Take the turbo off to get access to the down pipe. To make sure the flange properly mated to the turbo ,cut the flange off the original pipe to use as the end of the new one. He reckons this cuts down on problems with differential expansion rates between the stainless steel and the turbo body. Make a short section of 75mm and then put the flexi coupling in, theres no room for the size of it where the existing one is. 75mm all the way from there following the same route as the existing twin pipe until you get past the rear diff. Then split into 2 57mm pipes with a Y branch. 2 mufflers where the existing rear mufflers are and two tail pipes
Getting 75mm up the front end is going to be a complete bitch, he reckons 4hrs fabrication for the down pipe alone. After that its fairly straightforward but will take a long day as long as everything goes fine. That'll be a first, so looking like an overnight stop.
Alternatively go for 63mm all through and save a 100 quid. Hmmm. Pondering that over the weekend. Anybody want to buy my original system?

If he's gonna do a decent downpipe then i might be up for one AFTER i fit me BV 50 !

Hi,

My BV50 is also waiting to get installed.
I have to fabricate some adapters and also find a way to install the vacuum boost actuator that controls the vanes instead of the stepper motor that's on the BV50.

Adamss, have you already done some of this work to get the BV50 on ?

B.R

Stefan

Hi,

My BV50 is also waiting to get installed.
I have to fabricate some adapters and also find a way to install the vacuum boost actuator that controls the vanes instead of the stepper motor that's on the BV50.

Adamss, have you already done some of this work to get the BV50 on ?

B.R

Stefan
Hi Stefan, i bought 2 exhaust flanges to weld on the exhaust and i am working at making adaptor plate for the turbo, biggest problem i see is adapting the oil return pipe to the old drain point in the block. At the moment i have a GT 2559v on the car (oil and water cooled, pretty much plug and play job) wich works fine just boosts a bit too slow. The BV50 i bought had no actuator (it was cheap for that reason) and i see no problem adapting a VNT20 vacuum actuator to work the vanes. I will have to grind the weld holding the vanes adjusting arm and weld a VNT 20 one as its easy to work with/fits better with the VNT20 actuator. I cannot see much difference between the GT2559 turbo and the BV50, the intake/exhaust wheels look allmost the same but the housing on the BV is much, much smaller...I think i should try and do a back to back comparisson between the 2 turbochargers... Anyone has a link to Bosio race nozzles for the v6 tdi AKE engine ? I think me Iveco nozzles are maxed out as i cannot get more fuel out of them !

The heads have been pretty clean whenever they've been off. I don't know if thats a function of the fact nearly all my driving has been on open roads not stuck in town/city, or the fact i nearly always use Shell VPower diesel. My EGR is still connected. Whether it is still as clean now i don't know, obviously i am making more smoke than i used to. Theres a lot of talk on 1.9TDI forums about disconnecting the EGR, not sure if i should do it now.

Talking to Celtic yesterday they said that although the EGR is physically connected it has beeen disabled electronically.

Well the 3 inch pipe is on, took them all day from 845am til 6pm, heres a few first impressions.
It certainly doesn't sound like a diesel any more thats for sure. I drove the first 15 miles back with the windows open to listen to it sad barsteward i am. Instant improvement in bottom end driveability, and can use below 2000rpm again now, it'll run down to idle in 6th . The shudder at idle is worse and doesn't disappear when i apply a tiny bit of throttle like it did. It sounds like an Impreza with a lumpy cam at idle. Fuel economy seems to be up but whether thats because i can drive in high gear below 2k rpm or the engines running more efficiently i don't know. Making less smoke below 2k rpm also, but theres still scope to improve. Engine revs even more easily than before.
Haven't really had the opportunity to go for a lengthy drive and feel the difference in detail. Will post photos and more feedback later.

Exhaust photos. Difficult to get anything at the turbo end its so well buried
IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt360/fjtwelve/IMAG0135.jpg
IMAG0137.jpg

IMAG0150.jpg

Last edited:
Now back to Newquay flights so booked into Celtic on Monday to see if they can coax anything more out of her, and reduce the smoke at low speed.
The bottom end, ie below 2k rpm, performance is much looser and will hold anything up to 6th at tickover but smokes at the least provocation. Makes life below 70mph much easier as i can leave it in 6th for much longer now. Theres a long hill on the A30 as you approach the Newquay turn off and on Monday she went up there easier than anything since the original "smoke visible from space" animal tune we had way back last year. I tried to get a blast down the same bit of road where i got the video to see if we got any faster but got blocked. I'm getting some resonance in the back of the car at about 1800 - 2300rpm, not sure how easy that is to fix but the earliest i'll be back into Plymouth will be Christmas now. Easiest fix is obviously to make sure i am driving faster then 2300rpm, officer. I noticed the oil took much longer to come up to temperature than before, it wasn't that cold on Monday so maybe we are running a bit cooler. Fuel economy is definitely better, but not enough miles to produce calcs yet. Looking forward to Friday so i can drive it again.

The exhaust looks lovely! Where did you get it done and can you give us an idea of price?

Any chance of video to hear how it sounds too!

Exhaust from

Zhev Liberson, Managing Director

Stainless Fabs Ltd
19A Alvington Street
Plymouth
PL4 0QL

Tel 01752 266 566
Mob 07968 775 853

I'll leave you to negotiate a price. Depends what you want. Could have had a single pipe to single silencer with single or double tip, twin silencers each with a double tip, therers lots of choice, you could just have 3" from the down pipe back having pulled the pre cat cat out, he'll do anything you want. He'll do 57mm all the way which is what i could have had if the 3" didn't work he was a bit uncertain it would go in until it did.

If you go to www.longlife.co.uk there's a network of dealers that do stainless, just had a look theres one in Bridport if thats nearer to you.

Sorry should have thought quicker - when Celtic dropped me up to the airport i should have videoed him driving off, couldn't get camera out in time. Sounds better from outside than inside

What did the last dyno session bring with the exhaust upgrade ?
I am pretty sure now those cats are gone a few extra horses came to life :)

No dyno yet. Celtic have made it all smoother, but say the exhaust is almost too free breathing now which affects low speed turbo spooling, and if they add any more fuel at upper revs it starts to smoke. I've only done about 50-60 miles since and basically if you are driving ie making progress as the officer would put it, rather than dawdling in traffic then it doesn't smoke much atall until you get towards full throttle. Went back to where i did the video and it ran up to 125 comfortably (was 118) without really going for it.
I have just been told that i will be working in Heathrow from next week for 8 months, can't fly there nor train so looks like we are back to 600 miles a week.Thats going to give me about 10 hours a week to think about whats happening and feedback

Do you have Vagcom ?
It would be interesting to see some loggings of boost pressure against charge temp and MAF readings and injectionquantity
this could fingerpoint some of the issues you have wih smoke and slow spoolup.
In my humble opinion, on a diesel, where cams are very mild and have no overlap so to speak of, you can't have too little back pressure.

B.R

Stefan

The old girl is back in her old hunting ground now. Theres nothing like a 250mile blip along the motorways and dual carriageways twice a week to loosen everything up. Shes loving the cold weather. Tootling at 60 to 70 along the 3 lanes full M4 on Friday the DIS was showing nearly 40mpg. That took a bit of a knock later as the road cleared and the average ended up at 69mph for the whole journey. What snow storm?
Back up the A303 this morning, getting to know the road, roundabouts are fun. There are better ways of spending 4.5 hours but punching holes through the traffic listening to the turbo and the exhaust and the shove in the back rates pretty high in my book.

Ah the joy of quattro, completely solid, not even a squirm the whole way home. The best bit of the trip on Friday was overtaking a police BMW through the slush in the outside lane as he plodded in the nearside. As pride comes before a fall i'll probably plant it in a hedge in the morning. Anyway smoothly does it, lots of room to the guy in front, no hasty braking manouvres. Drive with care people.

Well i didn't plant it in the hedge. Bit slippery on the A303 but about 60 miles driving on snow was great, despite Highways Agency guys gesticulating furiously from their Freelander trying to get me out of the nice fresh snow in the outside lane where the traction was much better. Why do people in 4x4s sit in the traffic queues when they could be carrying on? The only thing that ****** on me all day was a Discovery going up a slippery hill. Snow tyres on cheap rims to be bought in the summer methinks.

Anyway, passed the MOT first go on Monday! Smoke was not an issue (just). Car has been loving the cold and lately wet weather. Fuel economy has been taking a bit of a beating as my journey times between Falmouth and Heathrow drop steadily below 4 hours. 80mph seems to be a bit of a watershed, below it you can expect 32 ish, consistently above this and its 28-30. MOT said brake lines are showing signs of corrosion so it could be goodridge hose soon.

Working at Heathrow is not making it very easy to get to the dyno but will try harder. No flat out top speed run either. Am fairly sure we have lost something off the top end as it is definitely taking its time once it gets past 120 ish oh dear i'm complaining about 120+ performance again, listen to yourself, its a ****** diesel with 218k miles on stop moaning

yes ,its been a great read. wish I had the time and the money to follow suit

Whoops. Planted it in the hedge this morning. Well nearly. Good job the Porsche that was behind me had good brakes before i went sliding broadside along the wet road in several directions into the bank at the side of the road. Bounced off engine running lights on so cleared off to nearest layby asap to check. Memo to self : ensure tyres have fully warmed up before trying to outrun porsches throught the ziggy zaggy bits (i'd already got the drop on him up a 3 lane bit and through a roundabout). Lots of bent bits but no leaks, drove up to London no prob. Will probably be a new radiator oil cooler and intercooler.
Cardamage1170111.jpg

What you can't really see is the bent coolers and radiatorand the connections at the bottom offside which look bent too. ...Hallo is that the fully comprehensive insurance man?

Cardamage8170111.jpg

Congrats on the continuing story - and for the bad bits as well, the very interesting story continues and proves diesels can be fun - pity about the damage but could have been a lot worse, cold tryes are a ****** - wrote one of my Alfa 75's off at Mallory because of cold tyres and the result was a diagonally bent car and me in medical centre for check up!

I hope its not too bad for damage or cost!

Quote gone to insurers, ooh thats gonna hurt, will they try and write it off? Whats it worth at 9.5 years old and 220k miles? Place your bets please. Noticed a weep of coolant on the radiator connection that bent, but Heathrow Falmouth Birmingham Falmouth Heathrow last weekend without any bother, i was in worse shape than the car. Paid over £100 to fill it for the first time on the way back.

Yes they will try to - "beyond economic repair." Argued the value up a bit and found out what the top price for repairs would be. So round to adamss24 last night for a look see, hopefully we'll get the price to a more realistic level. And yes he did have a go, i'll leave him to comment.

Let them write it off then buy it back, should be quids in then if you get Chris to fix it. as long as you don't mind it being Cat C. Or just come up to sunny Hereford and transplant all your nice bits into mine please:yes:

The original body shop did something to his quote and got it down to an acceptable level for the insurance company, and has ordered all the parts using non Audi supplied bits. This all happened without me knowing until Thursday so i have apologised to chris as he had started looking for prices. Have taken the decision that if i can keep it going until this job at Heathrow finishes in 18 months which will add another 35k miles onto it, then fair enough. Doing this keeps it off the write off registers, and is only going to cost me my excess. After that we'll see.

Anyway seeing as they are dismantling the front of the car and the wings, have asked them to give me a price for tarting up the rest of the car, taking out all the chips and scratches and repolishing all over, and getting the alloys reconditioned. So maybe it'll look a bit prettier as it passes in a cloud of diesel.

Glad its been 'sorted' and its staying! - would be a pity to lose it after all the work

Due back this weekend, new front end bodywork and coolers, all the chips and dings taken out all over and hard polish, recon alloys and 4 new tyres. Looking forward to seeing the old girl, not quite a boob job but definitely a facelift I think.