Is the Intake Manifold of the 1.9 Tdi 130 made of Aluminium??

YSN

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I drive a B6 A4 Tdi brilliant car. However its on 113k right now and the EGR and Intake Manifold could do with a clean.

I want to go down the Mr Muscle foam oven cleaner route but I know it eats aluminium. Just wanted to ask what material the EGR and Intake manifold is made of before I go ahead.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks guys,
Yas

I'm no expert, but I would say they are some sort of aluminium/alloy. To be honest I cant see how a household cleaner would do much to it, its very thick material! When I did mine on my old Audi 80 I just scraped most of it out and used oven cleaner I think.

Thanks for the reply buddy, I tried the oven cleaner method it was ok but only for loose bits. IMO When I used the blow torch to burn it all off in the end I thought why did I even bother with the cleaner etc but there was a LOT of smoke lol. The oven cleaner is good for other things but for a gunked up intake manifold I must say blow torch FTW.

lol what is the BBQ method?

Barbecue ! You remove the inlet, soak in a bucket with diesel for a while then put on barbecue to burn the carbon deposits ! Don't go mad with the flame, i use a blow torch to initiate the burn then the flame will do the cleaning ! Power wash to remove all carbon and refit with a new gasket...That's all !

Reactions: weasle1uk
That's similar to what I did, but my one smoked up the whole place. I first tried to use "gunk degreaser" but that was taking too long and didnt actually work.

I used a blow torch after I used it I was thinking I should have used that in the first place because its more quicker and effective.