Smoke screen when idling - help!

tubtub

Reaction score
It's a '00 115bhp PD engine. Head gasket was replaced a short while back and since then clouds of oil smoke, particularly when idling. It's so bad that cars behind reverse to give themselves breathing space!

Vave stem oil seals have just been replaced, problem still there.

Suggestions welcome before I asphyxiate the whole of South West England - please....!

Is the timing set up right? - usually if a diesel pump isnt timed up right this can be a cause.

Hi, well first of all a 1.9TDI PD dosent have a pump!! But yeah check the timing, check all air intake pipes are secured okay. I guess there is no loss of power or anything???? Is the car burning oil??? Using coolant or anything??? Hows your fuel consumption????

Thanks for the suggestions. There's no loss of power, no drop in oil or coolant levels, fuel consumption is unchanged; everything is normal except for clouds of smoke when idling.
I'll get the timing checked and look at the air intake pipes (how might that cause smoke? - excuse my ignorance).
The turbo is a Garrett 028 145 702R; any known problems at such a low mileage (77K)?

Ive seen before when the pipes have not been on okay you can get smoke from incorrect fuel/air mixture, ie not burning correctly. yes it could be the turbo pumping oil into the engine, pull off hose on turbo, not exhaust side and check for oil. this can be normal even at 70k. check to see if inter cooler is full of oil.

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, well first of all a 1.9TDI PD dosent have a pump!! But yeah check the timing, check all air intake pipes are secured okay. I guess there is no loss of power or anything???? Is the car burning oil??? Using coolant or anything??? Hows your fuel consumption????

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what PD means?
Pumpe-Düse

yeah i know what PD stands for. this is how it works, electric fuel pump in tank pumps fuel to mechanical pump and then mechanical pump creates pressure for fuel inside cylinder head. then control of fuel to engine is controlled by the injectors on PD engine. Also note that the electric pump dosent always work only when required. unlike your 2.5TDI which has a pump which contols the injection. timing on the PD engine is on the cam pulley as this is where the injectors run off.

We used to get this all the time on Nissan engines - once the head had been off for any reason, they would burn oil like it was going out of fashion when idling. Only cure for it was new oil control rings on the pistons.

Never seen it on an Audi though.... not to say it cant happen

Please..... don't compare an Audi with a N*ss*n!!

Thanks for all the advice which I'll follow up.