2-Stroke Oil in Diesel

AlexGSi2000

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I know this topic has been mentioned before in the past - but im intrigued into doing this myself on my 2.5 V6 TDi engine.

I believe diesel fuel mixtures have changed over the past few years due to trying to make them more environmentally friendly, from what I have read this has reduced the lubricity of the diesel.

Up until this point I have used Millers fuel additive with the diesel I use (usually BP regular diesel) just for peace of mind - but its all probably placebo?... maybe?

Now I have finished the bottle of Millers, I am tempted to try using 2-stroke oil in with the diesel.
I believe 2-stroke oil is designed to help keep 2-stroke engines clean, im guessing it may have the same effects with diesel engines, especially those with EGR valves.

Is anyone using 2-stroke currently?
I am interested to hear what a few of the diesel tuners on here think.

I've been running it in my pd160 Ibiza for about a year. Engine is a lot quieter and smoke is reduced.

Im told it'll reduce engine wear but that's not so easily checked.

I run 200ml per full tank of fuel and it needs to be mineral oil

I like adding 2t - it makes me feel good and I hope that my dear tdi v6 enjoys it too. Hmrc were out in York testing for red diesel last week - they didn't stop me but I had red 2t in the diesel so it would have been interesting explaining that away....

Is this safe to run then ? One thing i miss from my 330d is the much quieter and smoother engine (6cyl so cheating)

Any particular brand, or just any 2 stroke mineral oil

How come its not advisable to use synthetic 2-stroke oil?

I have been running it in mine for the last few tanks. 300ml in a full tank.

The thread that inspired me is this one Freel2.com - View topic - 2-stroke oil and diesel

For what its worth I have noticed better cold start, less smoke and less noise. Maybe a placebo though but if it prolongs the life of the pump I'm game!

I know it has to be semi-synthetic only and a certain rating.

Mineral low ash oil, cheaper and better to use ! The way it works is by compounding with the diesel molecules, it won't disolve which is what you want as it's changes the molecule's formula slightly and makes it flow and lubricate better and burns cleaner at the same time. Not detrimental at all even in modern CR diesels but i would advise against them due to the DPF, it can get clogged- not necessarily a direct result because of the 2 stroke oil...

Comma Motorcycle Two Wheel 2 Stroke Mineral Engine Oil Moped Scooter Bike TST5L | eBay

About the best deal i can find. £4.39 a ltr delivered. And its branded, Comma have been around for years, i know something like Wilkinsons will be made by someone else, but at least its got a name on it.

Mines not got a DPF, so Mineral should be fine for me. Says low ash on it though.

Seems that thread recommends a bumper starter treatment on older engines. To help shift the years of deposits built up. Seems most of the original advice was for newer, cleaner engines.

Did anyone use extra to start off? Or just stuck to 200:1

So has anybody ran this comma mineral oil then? I'm tempted to try it but want people's experiences first.

Thanks

Mark

I read the same article quoted above and have been using Carlube 2 st oil for 6 months now on 180bhp 2.5tdi - no problems, sounds quieter, smokes a bit less and generally runs smoother. Possibly bit more economical too.

i have been using two stroke for years and years in my diesels and recovery trucks, just one note if you have a dpf use fully synthetic. or one thats jaso fc