POOR MPG ???

jase0851

Reaction score
i am only getting 41mpg from my 99 tdi90 is this right ??? can anyone help as i dont think this is that good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

I had a 1.9tdi 90 on a 95 plate and over 98,000 miles I finished up on 42mpg so, yeah sounds about right.

....i don't think i even get 41 MPG on my weekly run to work...mines about 39 ish MPG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i probably get about 350-400 out of a tank if i'm lucky....bit crap for my A3 1.9TDI (130) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JCC - 400 miles from a tank's a bit naff - are you sure no one's taking a hosepipe to your car in the evenings.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
i get at least 500 from mine (same motor) and that's if i drive like a nutter.

Mike

...i have wondered if its just pouring out the bottom of my car sometimes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

i'll have to do a test next week when i fill it up at the wkend, see how much i can wring out of her before i have to fill up again!

i think its mainly down to my journey to work being stop n starts for about 20-30mins (too many people on my road! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif )

thats some pretty awful figures!

my 2.5 tdi 2000 gives about 43mpg about 550 miles between fill ups!

The A4 has a bigger tank than the A3 - by about seven litres.
Could account for the difference, don'cha think??

i got around 30mpg on a run and 18mpg round town in my 2.5 v6 tdi passat
i now get around 57mpg on a run and 43 in town in my A4 1.9 tdi 130 and i don't hang about

[ QUOTE ]
i got around 30mpg on a run and 18mpg round town in my 2.5 v6 tdi passat
i now get around 57mpg on a run and 43 in town in my A4 1.9 tdi 130 and i don't hang about

[/ QUOTE ]

18mpg!!! My 2.6 petrol used to average that!!! No wonder you got rid of it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

I seem to be getting about 35mpg from my A4 1.9tdi quattro sport. Im a little bit worried about this. Can anyone suggest what can be done to up this to something morte reasonable?

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to be getting about 35mpg from my A4 1.9tdi quattro sport. Im a little bit worried about this. Can anyone suggest what can be done to up this to something morte reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of journeys do you do? Ours gets low 40s and that's with quite a few reasonable runs but a fair amount of short town journeys.

I don't believe that you'll get close to the official combined figure as the sport is running 235 tyres that will have a higher rolling resistance than the standard 205 tyres

If you do think something's up then the MAF is a good place to start.

HTH
Dave

Thanks for the response.

Sounds similar driving to you. I do a combination of town and country driving. Its not like I boot it everywhere either.

I think I may have a look at the MAF. Sounds like its the cause of lots of trouble.

I have just got a 2004 A6 1.9tdi multitronic sport, I came back from Derby in it last wednesday and it was reading 47.6mpg, now after a week of normal journeys, not really town driving but cold start and straight onto the dual carridgeway for 6 miles and then into town for 3 miles and back out again, it is now down to 38.2mpg.

When I picked it up it was only saying 34.2mpg.

[ QUOTE ]
I have just got a 2004 A6 1.9tdi multitronic sport, I came back from Derby in it last wednesday and it was reading 47.6mpg, now after a week of normal journeys, not really town driving but cold start and straight onto the dual carridgeway for 6 miles and then into town for 3 miles and back out again, it is now down to 38.2mpg.

When I picked it up it was only saying 34.2mpg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your figures look about right - at the pumps (no DIS) I get around 39-40 mpg over a tankful on mixed driving. All motorway, more like 43; all town or heavy right foot, more like 36-37. All figures include use of climate control - gives about 5-10% hit on consumption.

(A6 1.9TDI Sport 6sp manual - supposed to be v. similar to Multi in fuel cons.)