Chipping the Donkey!

gtdog

Reaction score
Website
www.premierseaschool.co.uk
I have finaly saved enough to get the donkey a nice new chip! Autotecnic (southampton) have quoted £411.25 for 30bhp. Standard plug in chip inc fitting and vat. Should be going in on thursday next. Cant wait to have the ability to upset the local Nova`s again, oh that lovely cloud of soot under hard throttle!
Thinking about it thats just over four hundred pounds for a third more grunt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wonder what they could do for the wifes VR6? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Never heard of them to be honest! It'd be interesting to see how you get on?

What sort of warranty do you get? Is it a HOPA type box that sits between the ECU and the wiring loom, or is it a new chip?

Good luck whatever!

Not sure what type of warranty as yet, will inform when I know!
The box sits as suggested between/piggybacks the master and the loom. Allegedly easy to remove if required! hence my thoughts on the switchable version, but it will cost more, so I shall probably just go with the simple option, which also has less parts to go wrong. (The last one suffered with a mistery water ingress!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Someone i work with used to get their GOlf GTI serviced there, and absolutely swears by them, so you shouldn't have any problems!

(Wish I was on commision)
Autotecnic have never ever ever been anything other than helpfull, accurate, honest, and fantasticaly reliable. I have been going there with each rely difficult bit of technical VAG stuff to have stumped me over the last ten years or so. From Vernier Pullys on my first Modded Scirocco to the chip for the donkey. Anyone in the Southampton area would be reccomended to visit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just had an interesting developement.
Autotecnic inform me that the switchable chip has three opperating modes, Off, Half boost and full bost. so 90bhp
105bhp or 120bhp. Hidden switch on the dash, easy mot passes without having to monkey with the motherboard! and ?
Is it worth more money or am I just being gadget driven?
Advice anyone?

HI,
My pal has used Autotechnic in Southampton for lots of work on his Corrado VR6, including servicing and tune up's etc. He has always been happy with the service he has received and although they are not the cheapest they know a hell of alot about the cars they work on and are always proffesional!

No chip yet!
I arrived on time and everything!
It would seem that the wrong cables were on the box, so without serious bodging nothing was going to fit. This is not Autotecnics way of working, thankfully! Another was ordered immediatly so hopefully tomorrow morning another run to Southampton will have me smiling!
Fingers crossed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OK time for the update!
Autotecnic were unable to supply the correct box for my car, its too damn old! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Although they did offer me the multi setting chip instead, I shied away from this plan as I have an aversion to complicating things further than necessary.
Phoned a friend at Superchips, Haggled a discount to same price, He arrived in a fully tooled up van, no hassle,job done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
JFC what a difference! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Its like climbing into a totaly different car, Far better than the last chip (sorry Autotecnic) Hardly smokes, but it goes and goes!
Far smother, ship loads of low down torque far sooner than previously.
Since the conversion I have run 250 miles to see what happened, and so far I have been delighted, lower consumption, guessing at mid to low 50mpg at motorway speeds. But the real delight is acceleration from 70-90mph, the old girl used to do this begrudgingly, but now it just pulls and I have to keep checking that Im in fith gear!
Totaly worthwhile!
Any doubters Please pay me a visit, take it for a run and compare it with a non chipped one. The best comparison I can think of is that it now reminds me of my Mk 2 golf gti.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif