A4 1.9 TDi white smoke when accelerating on motorway and loss of power

willplummer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've recently started seeing smoke coming from the back of my A4. It happens mostly when accelerating on the motorway. When i accelerate I can see white smoke coming up the back of the car and behind me. It's not a huge could to put people behind off but it is very noticeable in the rear view. I have also noticed a slight loss of power when the smoke appears. When idling there is no smoke. the car sounds fine at all times.

From reading a lot of other posts on this forum it seems like I might have a problem with the turbo? It doesn't sound like a head gasket if it only happens on acceleration right?

Any thoughts or ideas would be really helpful. I haven't yet checked the oil level / colour.

Thanks

Will

I wouldnt even chance giving beans atm as it could be a vaned turbo & thus clogged up & getting stuck, which could blow the turbo & thus create a nice mess to clean up & fix, I'd get it checked asap, take it extremely easy & certainly get it scanned now.

Thanks again for the help. I've had it looked at and it was a split hose on the turbo intake ... £107 ... I'm happy :)

I hope this thread might be useful for someone else with the same problem!