Turbo whistling, Advice requested?

A

A4Steve

Registering with the TPS is very worth while, I registered a couple of years ago and sales calls just stopped coming. There is also the Mailing Preference Service which supports your right to choose if you want junk mail through your letterbox. Neither will stop nutters from calling all night but they remove your details from a few more databases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Here's the links:

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS)

Mailing Preference Service

I have recently got myself a 1998 A4 Avant 110 TDI, I have owned this for about four weeks now. Its just that a number of people have commented on the whistle from the turbo, I must admit its quit a loud(ish) sound. At point of sale I thought nothing of it, but with these noise comments, I'm now getting paranoid. Do I need to be concerned? The car has full service history and has covered 96,000 miles

Comments & advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Steve

I had a 110 TDI golf and the turbo whistle was quite loud on this. Its hard to say without hearing it. Do you know anyone else with one so you can compare? Perhaps you could be cheeky and go test drive one from a Audi/VW dealer just to check.

My A6 110 TDi whisles, i can't hear it much in the car but when a mechanic moved it in the garage it whistled quite a bit, being in a garage it was probably louder, but i love it!

It lets people know you have a turbo under the bonnet!

Thanks all, for the reassuring comments.

Its appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

if its only whistling when you put your foot down (when the turbo comes on full boost) may be worth getting it looked at as something may be loose somewhere