2.0tdi, whistling/siren noise when revving

matt_hilluk

facebook.com/m9tbh
Reaction score
when sat stationary and revving / driving slowly my car makes a siren like noise, a whistle

sounds bad anyway and didnt do it before

boost leak or turbo is on its way out?

any other suggestions?

I would check for a boost leak first as it doesnt cost anything. Check all hoses and connectors and maybe even the intertcoolers as these are known to crack also.

Take the turbo inlet hose off and with the engine switched OFF, check for play in the bearings- from side to side and in/out. Most likely you need a turbo as the siren noise is the turbine rubbing against the housing sending metal shavings into the engine. Also check for oil in the intercooler, any more than a few teaspoons means the turbo seals/bearings are gone...Do not carry on driving it like that as the shaft will snap and the engine will runaway (means that it will run onto it's own oil on the rev limiter without beeing able to switch off the engine). The only way to stop a runaway engine is by getting the car in 5th gear and dropping the clutch to stall the engine, if auto- you're ****** !

Unfortunately we see a heck of a lot of these 2.0TDI turbo failures. In particular the BKD Engine.
As crazy as it sounds, it seems to be almost twice as likely to happen on an A3 than it is to happen on the equivilent Golf/Leon/Octavia.

As adamss24 has said, check it out using his method and see what it's like!

The worst one we've seen so far completely blew the compressor housing apart causing it to flood the bores with oil, bending a rod and causing a heck of a lot of damage!

If you're not happy checking it yourself, get it checked soon, as replacing the turbo now will be much less costly and more pleasant than the potential Intercooler/Conrod/Turbo/Pipework (whole hog) replacement if it were to fail in an epic way!

Hope this helps :)
Regards, Al.

i have had the same problem, Audi have replaced the turbo 3 times now under warranty and the problem is starting to come back! im sick of it!