Wife puts petrol in TDI130.

MarkyMark

Reaction score
Yep, last night my wife managed to squeeze 58 litres of unleaded into our 2003 TDI130 at the local Tesco filling station. Drove for about 100 yards before it conked out and she realised what she had done.

So, phoned Audi Assistance and car was duly taken back to the recovery company's yard. They are doing the fuel drain just now and were originally only going to clean the fuel filter although I have asked for this to be replaced.

Has anyone else managed to do this and is your car suffering any long-term effects? Anyone suggest any other action I should take just now to make sure the car will be OK when I collect it (apart from getting a divorce).

Hi my dad did exactly the same thing in his 2.5tdi allroad, and all is ok now. Apparantly it's not so bad if petrol is put into a diesel engine rather than diesel being put into a petrol engine etc.

After the drain it was unoticeable and that was over a year ago things still fine, so i'm sure you will be ok too!

My dad filled up his 110TDi Passat up with unleaded before Xmas. He got a bit further - about 12 miles from the garage before it conked out. I think the petrol probably floats on the diesel so if there is any diesel left in the tank that gets used first?

After draining the tank and a new filter, no problems, other than for the £50 of fuel that got wasted, £130 or so for the work, and my dad deciding that he ought to upgrade his AA membership to include recovery. Mum was not happy.

As A.P. says, petrol in diesel is ok, diesel in petrol is expensive.

To make you feel a little better, this wasn't my dad's best car mishap, though. He took his Passat in for a service, and was given another Passat as a courtesy car. Took his steering wheel lock with him. Mum & Dad drove 80 miles across to the Lake District for the day, and it was only when they were getting ready to come back that my dad realised he had bought the steering wheel lock - but not the key to take it off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It being one of those locks that cover the wheel completely, the AA couldn't get it off without damaging the courtesy car. So Dad came back home to get the spare key and then back to the Lakes in a taxi. A nice £100 fare for the Taxi driver! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. Nice story Jason, brought a smile to my face!

Collected the car couple of hours ago, done 30 miles since then and all seems fine. Phew, think we've got away with it.

Final bill wasn't too bad I suppose, £180 including the new fuel filter. I'll take it out of her housekeeping money! Audi Assistance covered the cost of the recovery.

These things happen I suppose - better only happen once though.

my mate did it a month or two ago!! He put a full tank in too! Still running as well as it did, although he was a clever incorrect fueller and didn't start the engine!

Jason my neck is hurting from trying to look at the pictures of your gravity defying cars!!!

[ QUOTE ]
ajmackie said:
Jason my neck is hurting from trying to look at the pictures of your gravity defying cars!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
a.p.courtenay said:Apparantly it's not so bad if petrol is put into a diesel engine rather than diesel being put into a petrol engine etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
I once put diesel in a petrol Transit. Drove about half a mile before I started to had problems. Pulled over immediately, got the van recovered, engine drained etc and had no more problems. I actually heard is was worse to put petrol in a diesel than put diesel in a petrol. I guess, as long as you don't push it too far after the engine starts to complain and get it sorted asap, it shouldn't be a problem.

diesel doesnt ignite, but petrol will combust through compression. petrol in a diesel can be water down with diesel, but any diesel in a petrol is bad.

Yes I believe the diesel pump nozzle is larger so wont fit an unleaded petrol nozzle. It's the reason why you can only mistakenly put petrol in Diesel now which is easier to flush out.

Ian, I forgive you twice lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's usually the colour of the pump/nozzle which depicts the type of fuel, but don't go to a BP stations, as their pumps are all the wrong colour(confusing)! - Mosts popular station to get the wrong fuel into your car according to the AA guy, and it happens more often than you think!!

I'm amazed that my mum hasn't managed to do this at a BP station! She's managed to pretty much everything else in a car. if i had it all on film, i'd be driving round in RS4 (courtesy of all the You've Been Framed income!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
CJ B6 2.0 said:
Yes I believe the diesel pump nozzle is larger so wont fit an unleaded petrol nozzle. It's the reason why you can only mistakenly put petrol in Diesel now which is easier to flush out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had no problem at all when I filled up with diesel instead of unleaded.

Well i know that a few of the Garages i have been to in and around London have different nozzle sizes for the diesel. Unless i'm losing it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Now that i have a diesel car, I find the thing that gives it away is the fuel pump handle being filthy and stinking to high heaven.

The Recovery chap said that most diesel pumps are now larger than unleaded and shouldn't fit into a petrol car's filler neck. However, some people force it in anyway, you'd think the stuff dribbling down the side of the car and onto your shoes would be a bit of a giveaway.

Anyway, 200 miles up since the incident and the car's still going strong. Goes in for its first service on Tuesday so fingers crossed the dealer doesn't spot anything or that Audi Assistance haven't grassed me up - I'd rather they didn't know.

Thanks for all your replies so far - very interesting and good to know other people have muppet moments too.

[ QUOTE ]
Hingy said:
Now that i have a diesel car, I find the thing that gives it away is the fuel pump handle being filthy and stinking to high heaven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. I find myself looking like a woman most of the time cus I put them plastic gloves on otherwise my hands stink of diesel! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I can't remember ever finding the petrol pump handled covered in petrol, so why are diesel pumps? Are diesel car owners that useless, or is it just that petrol evaporates faster. Or do jealous petrol owners go round petrol stations at night a poor diesel on our lovely handles?

[ QUOTE ]
Karcsi said:
Or do jealous petrol owners go round petrol stations at night a poor diesel on our lovely handles?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif