Possible MAF Problems

TGM

Reaction score
Hi All

I am having issues with my A4 2.0 TDI 170.

The car feels under powered and not overly prompt on starting. Low revs are a real struggle. It is an 07 plate and has just hit 86K.

On a reasonably fast motorway run for 2 hours I am hitting around 34 mpg (a little low)

On occasion the idle is erratic too.

I have been asking around and a few people suggested that my injectors may be blocked. After several months now of various diesel injector cleaners I am seeing no results.

I asked around some more and have read a few forums and the diagnosis maybe the MAF.

Before I spend money to change this, does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning them or is it not worth it?

Are there any other things i should be looking out for?

Simple test to check if it is the maf. Unplug maf, go for a quick drive. Is power the same? If yes maf is knackered. If power is reduced maf is ok. You cam clean it with some brake fluid cleaner spray thingy

Thanks navnayvar.

Intrestingly last night the oil light came on. About one month ago the oil was fine. Now it is on minimum.

Could this be all related?

Hi All

Changed the MAF and still no change.

The MPG is still 32 on the motorway and still under-powered.

Linked the ECU to a fault reader but no codes displaying and parameters are coming out normal. However it took several attempts to access the ECU as it kept booting the computer out.

Any Ideas anybody?

Further update:

Loaded the car on a rolling road. The Car is a BRD 170 bph 2.0 TDI but I was gettting 100 bph out the wheels and around 130 bph out the flywheel.

Performed a full engine flush and oil change as I had heard rumours that Audi garages are reknown for not putting the correct oil in these engines.

anyway, the next day I was driving and the brakes went rock hard and didnt perform and the engine cut out at 80mph on the motorway.

I think the added load of the rolling road plus the full engine flush may have caused my tandem pump to pack up. Interestingly no oil is in the fuel line yet.....