Mass Air Flow Sensor

darrenp

Reaction score
My car, a 1999 TDI 110, 80K miles on it, hits a flat spot at about 2500rpm. After reading around and being told by a few people, I've decided its the mass air flow meter. My friend can get me one so is it a matter of fitting it and off you go, or is there some sort of calibration or setting to be done - which is better left to someone knows exactly what they are at or who has the correct equipment to do so??

Many Thanks
Darren

just fit it,there is no setting up, i maybe worth getting the fault codes read and cleared or the next time they are checked it may come up the MAF if faulty when it is not as the codes was not cleared

Yes agreed, changed mine a month or so ago (A3 110 TDI). One multi plug, one hose clip, and two screws. Takes about 10 mins.

Totally different motor now, didn't realise it must have been falling off for a while before it started showing the symptoms you have.

A word of caution........ don't neccesarily assume that it's the mass air flow meter, a.k.a. air mass meter, although this is a very very common problem particularly when you are heading towards 70-80,000 + miles. I hope, for you, it is this, as this is the most simple repair/remedy should it be that what's causing your problem. New ones usually average a couple of hundred quid, but most are available as remanufactured units for around £60-£80. You can fir one in around 5 minutes, and no calibradtion is neccessary, literally just pug and play, although its better to have the codes read and cleared, to not only "hide" the fact that there has been a problem with the MAF, but should you experience any further problems, you'll have a better chance of establishing the cause. I was unlucky- had similar symptoms on my girlfriends A3 Tdi (PD) tried a MAF, then a pressure converter, then an EGR valve, then an inlet manifold pressure/temperature sensor, vacuum pipes, turbo pipes ...... blah, blah until i arrived at a faulty ECU ( Bosch ones beginning with part number 0281 being particulary prone to faults causing overboost and causing the inlet manifol pressure to be exceeded causing limp mode) butto be fair Michi did say " No journey is too great, when one finds that for which one searches ", maybe be, but he wasn't paying for parts for a F@@KIN AUDI. Anyway best of look with yours mate, and hopefully its "JUST" the MAF Sensor.<<<<< climbs down from soap box and heads for his Passat TDi which has never (touch wood) EVER failed him. I'm on my third one, which i get new every 2 years and they work and work fantastically. If everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen?? Mazeltoft!

mine is attached at both ends too the intake pipe via jubilee clips, and the plug for the lomb, no screws.

I just got the sensor, the part that the connector goes onto. Should it have come with the unit that the sensor 'sits into' that is clipped to the hose.

Maybe with other models than my car you can unscrew just the sensor...

Nah you don't need the whole unit. The probe comes out once you've undone the torx screws, then undo the clips holding the wires.

You are looking at the one on the airbox arn't you ? Getting the whole unit replaced is a waste as the plastic tubing doesn't go wrong, it's just the sensor usually. Swapped my sensor out side GSFparts in bradford (took 2mins) to see if mine had ******** and it had. The probe/sensor might me hard to get out initially if it's never been touched before

Something tells me that you've replaced the mass air flow sensor/ meter independently of the actual screen through which the air passes. If you take the unit out as a one piece item, you need some large slip ring or groove joint pliers to compress the ends of the large clip that secoures the convoluted black plastic hose around the left hand side of the unit (standing at the front of the car looking at the engine, this is located on your right hand side, and attaches to the air filter housing) There should be a multiplug connector with two wires coming out of the top of it. Compress the two ends of the aforementioned large clip, and slide the clip along the convoluted tubing out of the way. if you release the clip it will temporarily crush the plastic tubing, but you can pop it back in to shape when refitting the hose. Some of them are fitted with jubilee clips rather than these comression spring clips, or you could replace the spring clip with a jubilee clip if you want to. The turbo pipes which come off the intercooler have a tendency to blow off, as these were fitted originally with Sprung clips, which aren't tight enough for the job. If these haven't already been upgraded to jubilee clips, i suggest you do it. It's not a big job- contact me if you want any help or advice on how to go about this. There should be two pozi drive or phillips (cross head) screws on the mass airflow sensor/meter, which you need to remove, to release the unit. Refitting is obviously a reversal of the above. Good lock.Regards. Paul.

Yeah, I just replaced the sensor/probe/meter part of it. My problem was getting the torx anti-tamper screws off, until last night when I bought the correct bits from Maplin (GU60) and the whole job was done in 5 mins. I couldnt believe the difference in the performance - I didnt realise how bad the car was running, it is alot smoother now and no more flat spot.

The sensor was £40 and I got the bits in Maplin in 13.99 euro. As said above getting the whole unit is a waste of money as the tube just a bit of plastic and doesnt need replacing.

Thank God it was just the sensor, I'm happy again :)

darrenp,

can I ask where you found a sensor for £40

Cheers Kenny

[ QUOTE ]
Kenny Bradley said:
darrenp,

can I ask where you found a sensor for £40

Cheers Kenny

[/ QUOTE ].

I'd like to know too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif