People Dissing the diesels........

Mcgough

Reaction score
www.spiller-cruise.co.uk there is a 20 page discusion on performance figures, dissing diesels and such like now ive both the 1.8T 190 and 1.9TDI 130 Quattro (6speed box), what are 0-60 figures, 30-80, 50-100 and top speed as i really think my diesel is faster than the petrol!!

am i right at 0-60 8sec and 144mph 1.8T
and 0-60 10sec and 130MPH 1.9TDi. but does this mean the 1.8t is faster all the way up or is the diesel quicker through the gears. any help most appriciated!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Diesels are never great at 0-60 though but it's the mid range torque available that makes them quicker 90% of the time. With diesels having a lower rev limit etc 0-60 may need 3 gears whereas on the petrol equivalent 2 may be needed this can make the petrol car seem much quicker on paper!

I personally find diesels boring to drive.

It's all well and good having 1 billion lb/ft of torque but it's ****** all use if you only have it for 2k revs before you have to change up. If you want to overtake say 60-80mph then they're great but the narrow band of torque makes them appear slow on paper (and in real life) for wider changes in speed. Ever seen a diesel pull a decent 1/4 mile?

If someone makes a properly revvy diesel engine that doesn't sound like a tractor at idle then I'd be interested, until then I'll settle for poor mpg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif BMW 3.0 litre engine comes close...

All IMHO naturally...horses for courses and all that

A

[ QUOTE ]
I personally find diesels boring to drive.

It's all well and good having 1 billion lb/ft of torque but it's ****** all use if you only have it for 2k revs before you have to change up. If you want to overtake say 60-80mph then they're great but the narrow band of torque makes them appear slow on paper (and in real life) for wider changes in speed. Ever seen a diesel pull a decent 1/4 mile?

[/ QUOTE ]

My point exacttly all petrol heads are the same,

Ive got the six speed box and as long as you change gear at the correct time {which isnt hard)you can keep feeding all that torque in!!

i had a 1.8T 190 sline and i prefered the diesel, nough said!!

And year ive seen a few quater mile diesels and fcuking fast as hell - tuned up and proper drivers, whi know when to change gear

...and every gear change costs time, no matter how much of a pro you are with the gears. Diesel with DSG, that'd be interesting.

All oil heads are the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

A

i know of a 1.9 tdi golf (90 bhp base engine) that pulls 13 second quarter miles.

see i wanted a 1.8t but my insurance messed up cus i messed up my A3 1.6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

so now am goin 4 the 110 tdi, i have always thought diesels r [censored] but there r loads of peeps sayin its fast,n really good 2 drive, i dunno wat 2 get petrol 1.6 ot 8 with out the turbo, or shall i get 110 tdi ?

[ QUOTE ]
kris_tdi said:
http://www.centralvwaudi.com/tdi.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, but FAR from std bar a chip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ..and I'd imagine it weighs a lot less than the modern diesel cars we're talking about.

Apart from out and out speed I just dont think dervs have reached the stage where they'll give you what I call a 'sporty' drive. i.e. they dont rev freely or get the adrenalin pumping with nice engine noises (admitedly the 1.8T doesn't do the latter much either)

They're a compromise between performance and economy - nothing wrong with that but the sport badges that are being liberally applied to diesel models of late seem to be deluding some people.

A

[ QUOTE ]
rickparmar said:
see i wanted a 1.8t but my insurance messed up cus i messed up my A3 1.6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

so now am goin 4 the 110 tdi, i have always thought diesels r [censored] but there r loads of peeps sayin its fast,n really good 2 drive, i dunno wat 2 get petrol 1.6 ot 8 with out the turbo, or shall i get 110 tdi ?

[/ QUOTE ]

In your position mate I'd go for the diesel. Performance/economy (insurance wise) means it makes a lot of sense.

Diesels aren't [censored], but they are a compromise.

A

[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:
[ QUOTE ]
rickparmar said:

[/ QUOTE ]

In your position mate I'd go for the diesel. Performance/economy (insurance wise) means it makes a lot of sense.

Diesels aren't [censored], but they are a compromise.

A

[/ QUOTE ]

it all depends on you lifestyle. When I lived near my workplace I brought myself a spanking new Civic Type R which was awesome- very quick off the line etc. Last year I moved away, but carried on working at the same place which meant a 25000 mile a year commute. The petrol bills were crucifying me, so I went for a A4 TDi 130se, which is far more practical for motorway commutes, and the miles I'm doing make it a sensible choice. No one who likes their cars buys a diesel if they can help it, but, if you're doing the miles they're a very fine compromise.

It's all down to personal circumstances and driving style, I had a passat tdi 130 prior to getting my 190 sline and the only advantage of the passat was fuel economy, was a reasonably quick car but the 1.8t 190 is streets ahead in terms of performance... that said my fuel bills almost double with the 1.8t but more than twice the fun driving it and this is before my remap due to be done in jan, both good engines but as i said depends on what you want from your motor running costs etc.....

rick go for the tdi.
I had the golf TDI 100bhp which was much better than the 1.6 petrol I test drove!
I got between 37-45mpg out of it, depending on the journey and maybe how I drove it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

the new jag 2.7 tdi is supposed too sound like a petrol apparently. i think the newer ones which are coming in as 16 and 24 v are more rev happy, well my 24v tdi is defo more revvy than my old 8v one. probably something too do with the flywheels weighing 3 tonnes too.

the twin turbo diesels out now are probably amazing too drive essecially the 535d /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well I suppose it depends how fast you want your car to be to call a diesel slow!

Take a mk4 Golf...The tdi150 is faster than the gti!

Maybe it doesnt rival the 1.8Ts once they have been chipped...but you will save on fuel, it will last forever and hold its value better...

maybe you should test drive some and see for yourself what you like best.