How to clean silver door strips and grill on S5?

Scruffy

Reaction score
Can someone please help me in resotring the reflective shine to my silver window strips and grill surround? They are all a dull matt grey from the previous owner using car washes etc. One of the best things about an S car is the silver verticle striped front grill but you can hardly see it!!! I own Autoglym engine cleaner and lifeshine kit as well as their metal polish...any of this work to degrease it and shine it up do you think, it just looks like layers of wax/product that has dulled the effect

Thanks everyone and if anyone fancies blackfiring an S5 in Leeds then let me know...it needs a good machine polish

Andy

Hi Andy, I know a few local detailers so will buzz them later and see if they can fit you in.

Re the metal, I would suggest some simple super resin polish. This is an all round light polish that will bring the chrome back to life.

Hi JD,

I do have some SRP. Looking losely at the strips, you can see what looks like water spot marks on that just dont come off when i rub a damp cloth or detail spray over. IT looks like stubborn product and was just wondering if a degreaser would work then a polish?

Thanks

Will that be strong enough to remove bonded on stuff, Rich?

Yes, absolutely - apply it with a Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad and you'll be amazed at what it can clean up/remove in the way of stains, oxidation, tarnishing, etc. It's one of those products that you'll use all the time once you try it - I can honestly say we use it on 99% of the cars we work on somewhere on another.

Hi JD,

I do have some SRP. Looking losely at the strips, you can see what looks like water spot marks on that just dont come off when i rub a damp cloth or detail spray over. IT looks like stubborn product and was just wondering if a degreaser would work then a polish?

Thanks

It might, but you can kill two birds with one stone by looking at the Werkstat product as it's a combined cleaner, chemical polish and protectant. Just apply it using a firm foam pad for best results - in this case I think it's the perfect product for your needs. :sm4:

Not sure as tho the trim you speak of is going to scrub up at all, Scruffy...

The alu trim around my windows and the roofrails suffer from some pretty heavy 'milking' (tarnishing)... Where strong TFR's have been used on the car in a previous life, it's eaten into the finish and NOTHING I throw at it will resolve the problem. Ive tried the Jeffs Prime, I've tried SRP, Autosol Belgom ALU and allll sorts. (Jefsf Prime IS a fantastic product as Rich states; certainly one for the collection!))

I hae the same prob on my A4, if yoave any job then please let me know what you used and i'll give it ago myself.

I used the normal jeffs prime on my trim and it came up like new. Highly recommended, there wasn't a mark left on them.

a recent example of Jeffs' cleaning powerrrrrr:

DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0282.jpg

DSC_0284.jpg

Shabba!

Not sure as tho the trim you speak of is going to scrub up at all, Scruffy...

The alu trim around my windows and the roofrails suffer from some pretty heavy 'milking' (tarnishing)... Where strong TFR's have been used on the car in a previous life, it's eaten into the finish and NOTHING I throw at it will resolve the problem. Ive tried the Jeffs Prime, I've tried SRP, Autosol Belgom ALU and allll sorts. (Jefsf Prime IS a fantastic product as Rich states; certainly one for the collection!))

Have you had any luck with this trim problem? My wife has just bought a 2006 A4 avant s -line hers has the same problem looks like tarnishing but doesnt come off tried various products to no avail ...it looks horrible close up and i dont really fancy replacing the window trims