I'm taking the plunge....Machine polishing. What do I need guys!

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hello Gents I hope everyone is well....
I am taking the plunge and buying a machine poisher, pads and compounds. My paintwork (1998 Audi Santorin Blue) has been polished with a a Lakes light cut pad and Menzerna 203s. This got rid of some of the scrathces/swirlmarks, but the deeper ones/older swirl marks are still very present. Due to Audi paint being notoriously hard I have resigned myself to the fact that a machine polisher with the appropriate pads and compounds is the only way I will achieve a true correction. Now I don't know a thing about machine polishing. I am going to learn (via write-ups, youtube vids and the forums) but what I would like to know from you guys is what kind of polisher would you reccomend? My budgets pretty high and I want to go all out and do it right! Secondly, what kind of pads will I need for my paint? Lastly what compunds should I be thinking about using for this? I understand that different pads and compounds are required for a single correction on the same car. Like I said I want to get this spot on (as spot on as I can for the first time!) so what would you reccomend guys? I was thinking about keeping everything I can in the Menzerna range as I love their products! Any opinions and reccomendations would/will be truly appreciated!

Ollie:icon_thumright:

Polishedbliss.co.uk have got 20% off their hard paint polishing kit at the minute. It includes a G220 machine DA and menzerna polishes. It's the one I use and appears to be one of the best around.

Ollie

My first question would be how much do you have to spend. Detailing can be done on the cheap and still attain good results, or you can spend a fair amount and have some very nice products. I know you say High budget but what one person says is high another might not.

You could always follow the PB wirteups for darker coloured cars as your car colour is dark and I might add similar to mine. However I find the PB advice one sided and only speaking about this Blackfire Product that seems to be used on everything. Maybe I'm assuming things, but can only deduce the above from what I've actually read.

The most important thing here is to get a paint reading off your car. This needs to be done, obviously before you start. www.detailingworld.co.uk will help you there as you could ask for someone local to help you out.

Differences between a rotary and dual action in my eyes are that the rotary machine is more difficult to use and acheives a higher (slightly) standard of finish, the dual action very easy to use, less likely to cause any accidental damage. The prices vary on both, but in the end you only get what you pay for. I'd like to point out to you that I've never used a dual action, only a rotary. Speaking with people in person over on DW forums, I made the decision to get a decent rotary when I myself was looking to buy the equipment. With stiffer/cutting pads the rotary will like to jump and skip over the paint if you don't lubricate it a little. I use "1" small spray/mist of Z8 to help lessen the effect. It's lovely to use with lighter pads, like the black/blue Lake country CCS pads.

Can't commentn on the DA as I've already said but I'm sure there are people who have used one and can help. JD09 might be along soon to give advice perhaps he's used a DA.

So just a small list of products I would recommend to you:

Menzerna Sample kit, which will come with all the Menzerna product you need.

Rotary Polisher, the more you spend the better imo, things like more adjustment on the variable speed, slow start will be missed out on cheaper models, although they are ALL great machines. One to look at might be this! It's priced nicely but you'll need a backing plate for both spot and normal sized pads (4" spot) and (6.5" normal).

Festool are really good polishers but carry a premium. Link here. Mines Italian made by Felisati, a good polisher with all the above features I've already mentioned. I will change to a festool soon enough though.

Pads are really a personal choice, but I've found that the sonus FX pads are very good but not quite as good as the CCS. For example the sonus FX1 is a very jumpy stiff heavy cut pad so it is hard to use. The CCS pads even yellow/white are easier to use with a mist of some lube.

I guess the choice is yours to make. There are Megs pads & Chemical hex-logic pads also to choose from and that's just from CYC (cleanyourcar.co.uk). Other companies offer a lot more.

I recently purchased the Yellow/White/Blue and Black pads in Lake country CCS range. Excellent and very good quality. I wash my pads out after each panel to keep them working well but after my rear bumper my white pad was almost ruined. I'd thought as much which is why I left the bumpers till last.

After the polishing stages to correct the paint I like to use Lime Prime Lite. So that it removes the oils and residues off the paintwork which are left behind from Menz products. A generous helping doesn't harm and makes the paintwork good for applying a sealant. Now I'd say 1000p by FinishKare as It was voted best product of last year over on DW forums, that in itself says something. I used this on my car last week and on the RV8 I'd detailed over Xmas last year, excellent product. I'd apply 2 coats around an hour or two apart, for maximum effect and coverage.

Then apply a wax of choice (this is a personal thing), I recently tried supernatural which is very good, but I think I prefer Victoria Concours wax. You could use collinte in 476S or 915 and still gain great results. Using that on top of 1000P isn't something I've tried or know something about, so DW might be the best place to do some research into that. You could also try this blackfire stuff that PB use. I've not used it but don't really hear much about it, in reviews or on DW so can't really say anything about it at all. Jim might be helpful here to advise you more.

Anyway, good luck.

You can always PM me and I'd be happy to give you my mobile if you need any further advice, no matter how small. Same goes for anyone in this situation! :)

G

This is the Dual Action machine I've been using for around 18 months now both on a black BMW and my own Audi. I find it works really well and gives great results if worked properly with the appropriate polishes (I generally use Menzerna). I've never had any issues with it and I've never come close to causing any damage with it.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...polisher-sonus-and-menzerna-kit/prod_525.html

Oo, didn't realise this was Ollie - not that it would make any difference, just would have bothered to reply sooner lol!

Fellas, Thanks!! Ref my slack reply to your posts I apologies. I work in the city on nights and have not been awake long! Wow! Theres a lot of choice out there! I am looking to spend in the region of say, £300 on a polisher, pads and compounds. However the cleanyourcar kit looks good. The PB hard paint kit looks very attractive also. What changes my mind was Mr G's thread on his A3.......http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?97919-Detailed....Audi-S3-(my-own-this-time)
Holy Jesus! The paintwork IS a mirror!!! If I could obtain/achieve a result even close to that I would be over the moon!

What changes my mind was Mr G's thread on his A3.......http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?97919-Detailed....Audi-S3-(my-own-this-time) Holy Jesus! The paintwork IS a mirror!!! If I could obtain/achieve a result even close to that I would be over the moon!

But you could... trust me you'll wonder how you ever managed without one!

007c.jpg

colour02.jpg

Agreed. Remember my days when I was a hand polisher. Thought that looked slick with my SRP and EGP twins . . .

Fellas, Thanks!! Ref my slack reply to your posts I apologies. I work in the city on nights and have not been awake long! Wow! Theres a lot of choice out there! I am looking to spend in the region of say, £300 on a polisher, pads and compounds. However the cleanyourcar kit looks good. The PB hard paint kit looks very attractive also. What changes my mind was Mr G's thread on his A3.......http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?97919-Detailed....Audi-S3-(my-own-this-time)
Holy Jesus! The paintwork IS a mirror!!! If I could obtain/achieve a result even close to that I would be over the moon!

Thanks for the nice comment! You'll learn easily enough and will acheive the same results, remember, read read read. The hardest part of a rotary is the jumping around and sometimes opposite movements needed to keep it steady, moreso on the heavy cutting pads.

I'll see how long my detail lasts this time.

Wish you the best of luck with your venture Phoenix.

G

Thanks buddy (and everyone whom replied to this thread). I will report back with my results in a while after my first attempt.

Ollie

Whats that pic all about? Surely you should know better putting that on a male dominant froum. T.E.A.S.E......LOL!