Detailed....Audi S3 (my own this time)

Mr.G

Reaction score
I took this week off to travel up to Awesome GTI to have some more work done. Excellent day, I met Sarah, who I've been dealing with for the last few months, in person, so that was nice. Very very nice team of people up at Awesome GTI. There really isn't anything close to me in terms of "proper" performance companies, I have to travel outside of Wales just to reach the first one, Badger5!

Added this time were 10mm spacers on the front to match the 16mm Spacers (both forge hubcentrics) on the rear. It does make it look a little strange at first but the stance now is IMO how it should be. Tie bars were moved from top to bottom (hope I've got that right Sarah? lol) as Pete wasn't happy with how the car was setup. Some previous work by another Garage had left some key jubilee clips off some of the boost related smaller pipework under the inlet manifold. Hot weather gave me the idea of having a total Air Conditioning work over and service, now blows really cold, hasn't done that in the two years I've owned it.

So again I'd like to say Thank you to Everyone at Awesome GTI and in particular Sarah and Pete for giving me their time and attention for a whole day Tuesday. A big thanks also goes to John, thanks for the coffee! Next time their on me! :)

Anyway....back to the thread, I'd intended another detail after I'd finished the last one as I wasn't that happy with a few areas on the car. I mean it looked great don't get me wrong but I wasn't happy and knew that I could get it better. Being my very first detail it went very well. Now a seasoned Detailer I though't I'd give it another go to put my skills to the test somewhat!

I've a few taster Images, took yesterday afternoon as I started late!

Before shots first (obviously). It'll take me until the weekend to finish the car, will post up more as each day starts!

The car before I started! Full of M4, M5 and M6 & M50 Motorway dirt.....yuek!

IMG_0247.JPG

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0249.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Swirls slightly visible here. Tut tut....bad wash method G. :(

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0254.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

Some new scratches :(

IMG_0262.JPG

So......onto the wash then.

Using....

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

Trusty weapons of choice....& tbm.

IMG_0267.JPG

Some during....and why I love Ming blue!

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

Bilberry left to soak first and agitated a few minutes later.

IMG_0274.JPG

Paint defects becoming more visible.

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

Moving on...

IMG_0285.JPG

As you can see the reflective aspect of the finish is still present from the last detail, around 2 years ago.

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

Still the paint isn't in "that" bad condition, considering I'd done mostly "rushed" winter washes 90% of the time.

Onto the after wash photographs. You'll have to excuse my camera skills, I am an Amateur photographer (Grand-dad was a successful professional) and am more interested in the finish on the car rather than the quality of pics. Wait for the afters....they should be good!

IMG_0289.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

Latest additions....

IMG_0294.JPG

Onto "just some" of the items I'll use.

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

This is my "third" smaller box of tricks.

IMG_0305.JPG

Clayed the car also as the rear end was SHOCKING! The lower sections weren't as bad but boy did Tardis help before hand!

Bonnet

IMG_0310.JPG

Sides

IMG_0335.JPG

3m all taped up!

During

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

I then noticed this! I might say the picture doesn't show just how big this Spidey is! I thought about a 5Pence piece but web would be disturbed and he would have hidden away. This is the smaller of two Spiders I call George and Mildred living in the rear of the Garage.

IMG_0318.JPG

The writing on the Ply boards could be used as a reference point.

IMG_0314.JPG

Funny thing is the last detail I looked up and saw a Wasps nest after hearing loads of buzzing. LOL....always something happening in that Garage of mine!

Anyway....I'll shutup and get on with it. What I'm left with is....

IMG_0325.JPG

IMG_0326.JPG

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

Obviously certain areas are worse than others.

Bird Droppings on the bonnet.

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

Marks on the roof rails.

IMG_0351.JPG

And a Teaser of whats to come. This is the first pass of the Machining stage using Menzerna Power Finish.

Bonnet

IMG_0379.JPG

Looking pleasent there. Im just about to give my motor its 3rd going over this week....On holiday and stuck at home lol.

p.s that spider is called a giant house spider. Scary buggers because sometimes they really do become giants lol

First time I have visited the detailing section of ASN. Your before paintwork looks very similar to mine, not in a good way. I have always washed my car with a sponge and one single bucket and only learnt about these mitts last weekend! Think I need to go polishing school. Good work

Oh G you teaase..hurry up with those pics!!!

Cant wait to see this :)

Looking pleasent there. Im just about to give my motor its 3rd going over this week....On holiday and stuck at home lol.

p.s that spider is called a giant house spider. Scary buggers because sometimes they really do become giants lol

Yea I looked them up on the internet after seeing it. Huuuuge spideys them. Mildred is the larger one I'll try to get some pics later on as I'm about to start the days polishing all over again lol.

Aparently they have large enough small fangs to be able to bite.

G

First time I have visited the detailing section of ASN. Your before paintwork looks very similar to mine, not in a good way. I have always washed my car with a sponge and one single bucket and only learnt about these mitts last weekend! Think I need to go polishing school. Good work

Well this will be it's second detail. It's ALL about the wash method after it's detailed as to how good the car continues to look over the coming months and years. Topping up layers of wax helps but if the wash method is bad then :(.

My wash method will no longer be those of the rushed winter type. I'll snow foam in winter & billberry the wheels and leave it at that this year.

Oh G you teaase..hurry up with those pics!!!

Cant wait to see this :)

Thanks. I'm working as fast as I can lol. My work light broke yesterday and I had a house viewing at 6:30 so not a lot of progress. Car is hidden away in my garage and I'm about to start the days polishing all over again lol.

But for now heres a few little snaps!

I brought the car out of the Garage late yesterday after the light broke to see what difference the Power Finish had made to the swirls in the paint. Here's the results.

IMG_0009.JPG

Bare in mind that this is the "first" step in paint correction on my car. It's by no means the finished result. I've a further two (at least) passes with another 2 menzerna products. So it's gonna be looking wet hopefully.

Lake country CCS pads were my choice, find them rather good with Audi paint. I chose the Yellow (moderate/hard) pad as I wasn't getting the results I wanted and did NOT want to use Power Gloss on the car all over again so harder pad with a little (tad) more pressure would see me through. It's tough going though.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

Nice reflective shot after a panel was wiped down, before the worklight had broken on me! :(

IMG_0376.JPG

I'll be back soon.....

G

First time I have visited the detailing section of ASN. I have always washed my car with a sponge and one single bucket and only learnt about these mitts last weekend!

I think we all washed our cars at some stage with a sponge, a single bucket and a squirt of Fairy liquid... probably throwing the remnants of the dirty water over the car at the end of it's wash to then hose it off and dry it with an old stiff chamois leather...

I shudder when I think back... knowing now what damage a poor wash method can cause to your paintwork.

Two more stages? I can understand 203S followed by Final Finish . . . enlighten me lad :)

Also you owe me a shopping list ;)

Is this with the rotary or DA? I've moved away from the CCS pads - they just didn't last :( 3M pads are my weapon of choice now!

I think we all washed our cars at some stage with a sponge, a single bucket and a squirt of Fairy liquid... probably throwing the remnants of the dirty water over the car at the end of it's wash to then hose it off and dry it with an old stiff chamois leather...

I shudder when I think back... knowing now what damage a poor wash method can cause to your paintwork.

haha, very accurate although I wouldnt use fairy liquid, or throw the remnants over the car lol!

its like your guys are talking a different language. I need to do some shopping

OOOhhhh G looking good...come on work a bit faster lol.

And you male wooses!! Giant House Spiders arn't scary lol! Let them run over your hands, they tickle lol

Anyway.... pics!!!!

Hush you, it is. Finished the detail of a Porsche Carrera S last night and had the Karcher out, so just gave her a once over with the lance and foam lance. No washing, just to get her looking a little better for this weekend/drive down to Brum.

That's the wonderful thing about a car with so much protection on her and about 10 miles a week. Quick shot of water and the dust is gone + barely any water spots due to run off with the open hose technique!

Lol...

I'm working as fast as I can. I'm looking for 100% correction although there are some scratches that just "wont" come out no matter what method or product I use. When I can afford it, respray in a year or so.

Anyway...i'll keep you hanging on, some more snaps for your appetites!

Pad washed out each panel as I like to keep them clean and working efficiently. Even though the car has been clayed the pads still pick up dirt, frequent washing in my experience and opinion keeps them working nicely!

IMG_0029.JPG

This afternoons lunch menu!

IMG_0031.JPG

Nice slow and tight with the pad and it's Menzerna over the panels.

IMG_0042.JPG

My cat's been my best friend these last few days. Meet Emma, a chocolate Burmese, She's 18 Years old, has a few battle scars and only one eye! Where ever I am she is, never met another car quite like her. I love her to absolute bits!

IMG_0038.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

Anyway....on with it.

Front Wing, I've put some newspaper on the tyres/wheels as I don't want to hit/touch the pad and get lovely tyre dressing on it. Only the first stage of three (remember, nowhere near finished).

IMG_0007-1.JPG

IMG_0008-1.JPG

IMG_0009-1.JPG

IMG_0010-1.JPG

I taped up the swage line just after this pic as I'm moving onto the lower sections of the door, rear quater on one side.

IMG_0010-1.JPG

IMG_0013-1.JPG

Taped up!

IMG_0016-1.JPG

IMG_0020-1.JPG

to be continued.....

G

Is it? I've always used the CCS pads like these. There are flat LC pads too? Mixed them up?

5 Minute break need a cuppa and some fuel for my body! :)

G

Small update.

Stupid me left the stereo on and drained the battery! Bob (bessie mate) to the rescue! Jump leads out and hey presto cars back alive. Pulled it out to manoeuvre the car a bit better inside the garage. Almost completed the first stage now on the whole car. I take my time to make sure it's ALL corrected, as much as possible.

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

Making sure that the swage line is corrected right up to the edge.

IMG_0015-2.JPG

Didn't mean to make this, pressed the pad onto the paint and moved the polisher to do it again and this happend!

IMG_0020-2.JPG

While it was outside briefly running to charge the battery the camera came out.

IMG_0038-1.JPG

Starting to take some shape.

IMG_0039-1.JPG

IMG_0040-1.JPG

IMG_0041-1.JPG

Tucked back in the garage for the night, awaiting my return 8am tomorrow morning.

IMG_0043-1.JPG

to be continued...

Looking good. Could you post some full pics when you're done. I'd like to see how your spacers look with the 17" Avus rims. Are you running standard suspension?

Mr.G said:
Is it? I've always used the CCS pads like these. There are flat LC pads too? Mixed them up?

5 Minute break need a cuppa and some fuel for my body! :)

G

Defo new design. The old pads were sharper at the edges. That's the part that use to detereorate as well, interestingly. Good work pal!

Thanks...remember more to come. Another whole days refining the finish, then wipe down with Megs No34 and Lime Prime lite to make 100% sure my cars ready for the sealant of choice.

Defo new design. The old pads were sharper at the edges. That's the part that use to detereorate as well, interestingly. Good work pal!

Could very well be then. I've used these for a while now. So they are at least 18 months on the market. You shop around much when buying things or do you just use I4D/PB?

I shop around, but mostly use CYC.

Looking good. Could you post some full pics when you're done. I'd like to see how your spacers look with the 17" Avus rims. Are you running standard suspension?

Thanks. Yes a full photoshoot is planned, just need to find a nice industrial spot. Think I've got the perfect place but will need to see if I'm allowed to go inside.

As for suspension, it's currently got Bilstein B8's, H&R's (25mm), Neuspeed ARB's (22mm/19mm) front and rear, Awesome GTI adjustable rear tie arms and a custom geometry setup (thanks again to Ess_three, car's amazing to drive). It's got 16mm rear spacers and 10mm front, both forge items.

G

Awesome! Pics are stunning, can only imagine that in the flesh it looks like glass?!

Well done!

Was trying to explain the reflections to the missus last night, that was fun:

Me "what can you see there?"
Missus "Its a brick wall duh!!"
Me "No its not, thats a reflection of the brick wall on G's car :moa:"
Missus "Yea right!!! Im not stupid you know!!!"

I then gave up, promptly, as they are always right you know :)

LOL, I hear ya. Remember, women are always right except on two things: everything they do; and everything they say! (Maestro ducks for cover).

Whist detailing my car, what did I get said to me the other day: why does it take you so long to "wash" the car? After a lengthy explanation - during which she looked bored and unbelieving - she said, but why do you need to polish it twice. Then, that evening when we went out she said, "Car's nice and shiny" as she posed as we went. It took all my strength not to throttle her lol.

Some more shots from todays work.

IMG_0007-3.JPG

IMG_0008-3.JPG

IMG_0009-3.JPG

My favorite....reflection shot!

IMG_0011-3.JPG

Still to go....

Refine car using PO85.RD
Lime Prime Lite
Seal using FinishKare 1000P
Megs No 34
and Finally Supernatural by Dodo Juice.

Might be finished early hours.

to be continued...

Was trying to explain the reflections to the missus last night, that was fun:

Me "what can you see there?"
Missus "Its a brick wall duh!!"
Me "No its not, thats a reflection of the brick wall on G's car :moa:"
Missus "Yea right!!! Im not stupid you know!!!"

I then gave up, promptly, as they are always right you know :)

LOL, I hear ya. Remember, women are always right except on two things: everything they do; and everything they say! (Maestro ducks for cover).

lol, she was trying Nilz lol

And dont say that outloud Maestro lol!!!

This looks amazing so wish i had the time and expertise to carry something like that out. Look forward to seeing the finished results...

Late last night I'd had the time to seal it. So just a few snaps from last night today. Later on i'm going for a photoshoot after I've done glass inside and smaller jobs.

IMG_0045-1.JPG

IMG_0009-4.JPG

IMG_0012-4.JPG

IMG_0013-3.JPG

IMG_0017-3.JPG

IMG_0018-3.JPG

IMG_0019-3.JPG

IMG_0020-3.JPG

IMG_0021-3.JPG

IMG_0023-2.JPG

IMG_0032-1.JPG

IMG_0036-1.JPG

Supernatural going on.

IMG_0039-2.JPG

IMG_0040-2.JPG

Sample size of 30ml, will definately be getting the full size. Great to put on and even better to take off, Supernatural really is a good wax, as good as Victoria. Not sure if it's as wet looking though.

IMG_0041-2.JPG

So just those for now. I really am feeling rather tired, exhausted more like. It's been a very busy month and I'm in need of some well deserved R&R. Will get photo's done and then I'll sign off and sleep for like a few days! :)

G

Lookss acee G! That spider gave me nightmares though :( Flippin hate spiders!

Come on put some pics up of the finished product cant wait to see!!!