What products to use....??

Desmofan

Reaction score
I just picked up my new A4 - 2006 Avant Special Edition in Misano red.
The dealer had done a lovely job prepping it inside and out. It shone like a new pin.
After a weeks use it needs a clean. What the heck to use...?
Reading posts on this forum it seems like there are a lot of high tech options out there. Previously I've only ever had Autoglym products. Are these OK or should I avoid?
What about the cabin? How do they get that wonderful showroom look to all the plastics?

Hi desmofan,

Congrats on the purchase!

Halfords have got a good deal on at the moment if you want the products asap, however you will obviously find them online cheaper if you can wait a week.

Im currently using:

Meguires wash mit (avoid sponges)
Meguires nxt shampoo - really nice smell to this :)
meguires waffled drying towel
meguires window cleaner
wanted the meguires nxt wax, however i got the turtle wax ICE paste wax which gives a great shiney wet look!
ive also got a coupel of meguires flannel type towells for wiping wax off and last buff over :)

Have fun cleaning it, ive got the A4 B7 Saloon and that takes some time, will look forward to seeing some pics after the wash :)

I've heard very bad things about the turtle wax ice, so be careful.
If you search on here, a detailer called Jimmeh did a red RS4 which I beleive is the same colour as yours. Have a look at that, it will give you ideas. Also read the recommendations from polished bliss at the top of the page. Visit their website, a lot of high end products are not as expensive as you might think.

Congrats on the new car mate,
Autoglym is a perfectly good product range. Any product is only as good as the person applying it, there's a way to do everything, a 2 bucket method wash is essential to keep the car looking clean without swirling the paintwork (swirls are tiny faint scratches that are ineviteable wheen washing the car, the 2 bucket method reduces this dramatically.) Then dry with a microfibre drying towel. Maintenance totally depends on the products used, there is a massive amount of products available. Detailing sprays maintain paintwork protection. Polishes, sealants and waxes are a huge subject, as said by rowdyboy, check the guides at the top, or use a forum such as the one on cleanyourcar, there's some great chaps on there with alot of info.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27
Take a look at the link above, as for other products, look on polished bliss or www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
HTH
Neil

I've heard very bad things about the turtle wax ice, so be careful.
If you search on here, a detailer called Jimmeh did a red RS4 which I beleive is the same colour as yours. Have a look at that, it will give you ideas. Also read the recommendations from polished bliss at the top of the page. Visit their website, a lot of high end products are not as expensive as you might think.

what bad things have you heard... would hate to be using something that could damage the paint!

Thanks for taking the time to reply fellas.

I never heard of the "two bucket" method before - just goes to show that you never stop learning new stuff.

A trip to Halfords this morning to aquire the basics I think.

Watch out for piccies soon......

You'd do well to damage the car with anything from Halfords TBH, even on a DA. Just couldn't be bothered topping it up every month, the wife would kill me, I tell you what though, used the Turtle wax platinum extra gloss a few years back! lasted a good while and gave a good finish, if you want a little more durability, top with that. Still got it in the shed and am tempted to top off my mazda with it!