AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Sheridan

Status

Washing after the volcano ash

Gents,

My neighbour pointed out to me in the paper yesterday that the experts? (Turtle Wax and Autoglym, no Polish Bliss in my eyes) were recommending you not to wash your car this weekend due to the ash from the volcano. They gave a number of options if you did want to wash your car but wanted to gauge some opinion from the experts on here. The ash is obviously like tiny pieces of rock and if they get in the wash process will cause a great deal of damage to your car, similar to rubbing sand paper over the paintwork.

So what would the experts recommend? I currently rinse with pressure washer then snow foam, rinse off and wash using the two bucket method with a lambs wool mitt. Dry with a waffle weave towel and protect with Werkstat trigger and Glos or just Glos, depending the weeks as trigger is only applied every 6-8 weeks. Using Werkstat Prime when it comes to getting the polish out.

I live in Sussex if that has anything to do with where the ash cloud is depositing its contents.

Thanks for your assistance.

Shez
    A4 Cabriolet 2.0T Special Edition in Quartz Grey with Black leather, parking distance control, bi-Xenon headlights, Bose sound, Synphony Cd, Comfort pack (Electric memory seats, auto dimming rear view mirror, auto dimming folding mirrors, Auto lights & wipers),Heated seats, Auto air recert, Colour DIS, I-pod connection, Wind deflector.
    Mods: LEDs inside and out, Revo, Milltek, Dension Ice, smart top

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    If we are not allowed to wash our cars, we all better hide our cars from the RAIN!!!

As long as you give it a thourogh rinse first (which it aperes you do) you will be fine matey. Seriously its just folk devils and moral panics!!!
    Stuff like this sells papers!!

Good luck
    Stacey
    Follow us on Facebook-Stacey-Byzan Photography-

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah people will scare monger, just rinse it off at low pressure, open ended hose would be great, then snow foam, you won't go wrong. Washed mine this weekend and its fine.
    3.2 V6 - Bring on the Burble!

Four Ring Fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shez View Post
    So what would the experts recommend? I currently rinse with pressure washer then snow foam, rinse off and wash using the two bucket method with a lambs wool mitt. Dry with a waffle weave towel and protect with Werkstat trigger and Glos or just Glos, depending the weeks as trigger is only applied every 6-8 weeks.
    Everything you are doing already will be completely safe, the only thing I would add is to spend a little bit longer rinsing with the pressure washer before the two bucket wash and you won't have any problems
    A4 2.5 TDi quattro sport saloon
    RNS-E DVD Nav running SW 0600 with 2007 disc including TMC function, Bluetooth Telephone, Audi iPod Interface
    18" RS6's now gone, replaced by OEM 18" S4 alloys
    Retrofit S-Line Bodykit
    Retrofit OEM Xenon's
    Retrofit Front Ambient Lighting
    Retrofit OEM Aero Wipers (thanks PJMSpeedy)

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Washed mine this weekend, lots of hosing before i started and took time to make sure it was well and truly done. Sadly its covered again the next morning, so in the garage tonight lol

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    or leave it on so it hardens and still won't remove next weekend

As long as your car is properly protected a decent rincse before starting out will do it. Scare mongers !!!

3rd Gear

Status
    My car is a filthy hoe bag at the mo! Wanted to wash it this weekend but just didnt get time, will have to wait till next weekend now

Plus its covered in greasy hand prints from its Free Audi MOT this week! Grrrrr
    Audi TT - 2.0TFSI - Ibis White

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Your wash method is spot on, so don't listen to the papers/"experts".

1st Gear

Status
    mate as said give a good rinse and dont listen to the news,i think they are blowing the whole ash thing out of proportion

S3 ~ MTM 330BHP ~ Milltek TBE

Status
    We'd been away for the week of the Ash-Crisis (lol) but we came back to out WHITE X6, which had been on the drive outside, looking very, erm ... ashen and grey. My Mrs (fool) wiped her finger across it to which I shhouted, "Jesus, there's minute rocks in that." She didn't get the point, anyway.

I jet-washed but kinda at an angle flush to the bodywork as opposed to a more direct angle. Maybe I was being over-cautious but hey.
    ~ The Maestro ~

• S3 MTM (Current)
    • A4 Avant S-Line 3.0L TDI
    • A4 Avant S-Line 2.0L TDI