13 weeks of work, Absolute Red content (56k no way)

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I picked up my car several months ago now. Fantastic condition, including FASH, but the paint was . . . well;

IMG_8774.jpg

IMG_8820.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

So I finally had option of a daily driver (A4 derv) and a garage, while my parents were away in Vietnam. So a long weekend and the work begins.

First off, as she stands;

IMG_8715.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg
IMG_8716.jpg
IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8718.jpg

IMG_8719.jpg

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8737.jpg

IMG_8723.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

Quick blast down with the Karcher and a lot of the grime is removed;

IMG_8739.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

IMG_8741.jpg

Then a snow foam with a mixture of Gold Klass Shampoo and ph neutral snow foam. Note to self, taking pictures while snow foaming is trickier than I remember;

IMG_8748.jpg

IMG_8750.jpg

IMG_8756.jpg

Shuts, tight spots and cracks agitated with G101 and envy brushes;

IMG_8758.jpg

IMG_8759.jpg

One part of this stage I was very happy with when finished, although each side took over two hours each, were the door shuts. Here I found a major amount of grease, grime and what I am guessing was delivery wax as it was very difficult to shift. Sadly I don't have many pre wash pictures, but the following are after being washed down with G101;

IMG_8764.jpg

IMG_8767.jpg

So on to a spray down with Tardis, the agitated and resprayed with G101 and agitated again. The tight space made this stage very lengthy;

IMG_8771.jpg

IMG_8772.jpg

IMG_8778.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8780.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

IMG_8785.jpg

You can probably tell how happy I am with the results based on the number of photos of such a small area!!

The car was then washed, two bucket method, with Megs Gold Klass shampoo, wash mitt etc. Those into their detailing will note one major difference in my approach to washing my car - no wheel pictures! This is purely because these will be removed at a later date to be cut back and sealed properly. They are in surprisingly good nick, but are being replaced for 18"RSTTs soon as well.

Once washed down and dried, we were left with this;

IMG_8799.jpg

Pat dried with I4Detailing large drying towels and on to claying. For this I used Megs no:16 last touch as per usual, but decided to try the I4Detailing poly clay - big mistake. Really didn't like this due to its inability to refold easily to give a clean surface. Photos not so good from this but not too bad on the contaminants side of things. There was very little tar present as well so Tardis was barely used;

Bonnet;

IMG_8786.jpg

Rear bumper;

IMG_8787.jpg

The car was then refoamed with just Megs Gold Klass and then washed with the usual 2BM and Megs Mitt, dried and backed into the garage to assess . . . well, back up what I already knew (sadly).

IMG_8808.jpg

IMG_8809.jpg

Looks good!!

IMG_8819.jpg

Not!!

IMG_8815.jpg

IMG_8820.jpg

The car was a mess. UDS, major marring from a lifetime of bad washing, possibly even petrol station brushes :sadlike: and even a few bird dropping etches;

IMG_8873.jpg

IMG_8876.jpg

A particularly bizarre scratch on the drivers side wing;

IMG_8893.jpg

IMG_8821.jpg

The car was then taped up for the end of day one;

IMG_8829.jpg

IMG_8832.jpg

IMG_8833.jpg

Again, something I am maticulous about, as my last car showed signs of bad over run from a buffing machine on the rubbers and plastics - PITA to remove!

Sorry to leave this at a fairly "cliff hanger" moment, but photobucket is being very slow tonight. I will update once the photos have finished uploading.

Thanks for reading :)

James

Looking forward to this one mate! looks like you had your work cut out!

Matt

Ok, so, photos up loaded, good to go again :)

The car was good to go with a machine polisher. Now comes the major delays. First, my Kestrel rotary gave up the ghost. Then I was away every weekend for around a month and therefore just had no time for the car. I braved walking to work for almost a month to make sure I didn't drive her out of the garage.

Finally ordered a new Silverline as an in betweener machine, after almost calling on Jimmeh to get her booked in. Sadly my new role at work leaves me with no time, coupled with a misses in Birmingham Uni (down at the weekends) left me with about an hour a day, if that. So, panel by panel she was machined.

Started with Lime Prime and a 3M polishing pad via rotary, but this had little affect on the UDS and I wanted as much perfection as feasible. So, on to a 3M pad with Menz Power Finish 203s (worked so well on several previous customer Audis) and this did not disappoint. I managed to achieve about 85% correction, so not perfect but very happy in comparison;

IMG_8884.jpg

IMG_8885.jpg

A real idea of how bad the paint was;

IMG_8895.jpg

In comparison to;

IMG_8899.jpg

IMG_8901.jpg

A 50:50 of bonnet (done) to wing (marred);

IMG_8903.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

During the weeks that went by, the sun did show its face once or twice. So I was able to take the car out of the garage and get some direct sunlight befores;

IMG_8912.jpg

IMG_8916.jpg

IMG_8918.jpg

So, finally, this weekend I was able to final stage polish the car with the DA and some Lime Prime on a Lake County Finishing pad. I do love Lime Prime, even though I am not a major Dodo fan.

Results;

IMG_8921.jpg

IMG_8922.jpg

IMG_8942.jpg

IMG_8941.jpg

IMG_8938.jpg

The car will not see as much love and attention in the detailing department as I want, due to work and travel. So instead of just Carnuba wax, I gave the car a very decent dose of sealent. Yes, this won't give as good a finish (yes I'm picky ;)) but will last a very long time. Poison of choice was an "old" faithful; Chem Guys Blitz spray sealent. Results;

IMG_8944.jpg

IMG_8945.jpg

IMG_8946.jpg

IMG_8947.jpg

IMG_8949.jpg

IMG_8948.jpg

I have forgotten to add another part I am very happy with, the exhausts!

IMG_8662.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8668.jpg

IMG_8706.jpg

The car was finished with Megs Long Lasting tyre shine, Autoglym Fast Glass, Chem Guys New Look trim gel and then a wipe down with a relatively new fav, Zaino Grande Finale;

IMG_8951.jpg

IMG_8961.jpg

IMG_8965.jpg

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8971.jpg

IMG_8980.jpg

IMG_8984.jpg

IMG_8985.jpg

IMG_8986.jpg

The only part not treated to a full recon was the rear bumper. Due to a very unfortunate trip/fall I have damaged a very minor spot of paint, but being a perfectionist, I am having it resprayed. There are a couple of very deep scratches from unloading over 8 years as well, so a good chance to get her spot on. For the moment, I am covering the area in a matt black bumper protector, covering the offending area!

IMG_8934.jpg

Plans; wheels off and cut back and sealed, then sold/replaced. TT pedals have been fitted but a few interior parts need bringing back to life including the CC buttons, radio buttons and the headlight switch. Next stage, interior! Leather needs a good treating, as well as a decent clean of the carpets etc.

Thanks for reading!

James

GRIPPED! Waiting with bated breath lol. As my "1st Semi-Pro Detailing" post suggests, I'm newly into this detailed, erm, detailing, so to see your extensive start-to-finish is/will be educational.

I'm impressed so far ... chop chop with the rest, lol.

Oh, and the piece of kit in the background is the next target for the DA/Rotary ;)

This thread will be updated as other parts are finished on the car, so check back :)

Fantastic mate, nice job!

Thanks for going to all the trouble of posting this gargantuan post.

Thanks Maestro, it certainly takes a while. I really do miss doing this weekly; I use to detail locally.

Absolute smashing job mate!

How did you get the bizarre scratch to fade? (I found one very similar on my rear wing today.....:crying:)

Oh and btw, your new sig pictures, as nice as they are, they are MASSSSSIVE!! :detective2:

Yeah was about to say the site must be fecked to allow those big pics in sig, I kept reading the thread thinking there were new pics then realised it was the sig lmfao.

Nice job BTW.

Ooooooooohhhhhh thats so much better, ****** shine on that car aswell damn, made my transitions react lmfao

Absolute smashing job mate!

How did you get the bizarre scratch to fade? (I found one very similar on my rear wing today.....:crying:)

Cheers Dan. A good pass with the rotary with 3M polishing pad and Menzerna 203s took it out nicely. Clearly only in the very top layer.

Wow, all that hard works paid off! Looks good. I'm finding it hard doing mine as I need it for work! Hey ho!

Thanks Sarah, very happy with the results.

Noticed you're in Cheshire as well, where abouts?

I wish I had the time to do this sort of thing to my car, you have done a cracking job there mate!!

Nice JD, didnt realise it was you from CS until I saw your dads R8 lol

that paint was shocking before hand, good work.

Started with a clean with a degreasant and soft brush. Then moved on to tardis for some detarring action. Followed by a good scrub with wire wool and autosol. I then finished it off with a "metal sealent" on trial from a friends detailing business. Not sure how long this will last, but there are others out there so will be interested to see if it works. Not bad for a freebie and if it lasts a month, great!

Started with a clean with a degreasant and soft brush. Then moved on to tardis for some detarring action. Followed by a good scrub with wire wool and autosol. I then finished it off with a "metal sealent" on trial from a friends detailing business. Not sure how long this will last, but there are others out there so will be interested to see if it works. Not bad for a freebie and if it lasts a month, great!

thanks for that, will have to get some tardis, it looks good!

Tardis is excellent, Sarah. A real life saver when it comes to stubborn tar spots. Remember that it is a dangerous chemical and should therefore be couriered as such.

Buy it in cans, or you are welcome to some of mine since you are local (have a can from Polished Bliss and you will only need a small amount).

I was reading some of the detailing posts a few weeks ago and saw a product (will have to find it again doh!) that made the bits in the pearlescent stand out and really sparkle! Thats what I want my car to look like, good thing is I Love detailing and dont mind the time it takes so you have shown me what a really good job can look like, brilliant!

Very well done here Jamie - the hard work paid off in the end.

Are you going to be going to any of the shows this year? Would be good to catch up.

Jim

Thanks Jimmeh, I am hoping to but being new to the Audi side of things I need a nudge on dates and locations. And yes it would be great to catch up and have a natter.

I forgot to mention in the thread, a big thanks to the following;

Matt@I4Detailing - exceptional speed and price on products
Angela@Polished Bliss - very quick response to a number of questions

And of course, our resident super star, Jimmeh, for help and suggestions via PM and text. Cheers buddy :)

Amazing pictures and great work, very impressed!

Nice work :), the paint before was shocking....looks like it had been cleaned with a brick!

How did you find the silverline?. I've got one and to be honest for the cash its not bad as long as you use a decent backing plate :)

Not as easy to use as my old Kestral Tom, being honest. I found it more cumbersom. But like you say, not bad for the money. I went back to my PC for the last stage of Lime priming which was so nice in comparison. Forgotten the weight difference between my rotaries and the old faithful!

WOWW!!!:hubbahubba: Looks the sex mate!! Very nicely done!! Im taking notes... :readit:

Got there buddy! Looks excellent mate, considering the hardness of th paint!!! Prefer the R8 in the background if I'm honest:)
About to do my Mazda 6, nice and soft!!!

Hi chap! Thanks, very happy with it to say the least! Yeah tell me about it - just 18 months left to drive it fully comp! Although price (yes I asked) was only 500 extra on top of our multicar quote, but wait for it - 5k excess haha!

Ahhaha, Mazda paint, softer than Renault paint by memory lerrrrrrrvly!

How's the shoulder?

Wasn't as soft as I thought it would be that mazda paint! Didn't get the correction I was after but it's miles better with just a single day detail! 8 hours mind. Shoulder is a mess unfortunately, they didn't tighten the collar bone down as much as they'd have liked, so i look like a machete victim now!!! C'est la vie, at least the joint is more secure! £5k, sweet! I'd have to sell my house!!! Ha Ha Ha, 18 months ey? I'm green with envy mate.