Lava Grey?

hob_nob_rob

Reaction score
Hi all,

I only recently joined the forum- and i have to say its pretty damn useful! (but cant figure out the search- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't)

anyway, i have just got myself an '04 A3 3.2 Quattro. Now I have areally stupid question... what colour is it? I THINK its lava grey..... im not 100% sure. It's not quite black, and its a lot darker than dolphin grey. I would post a picutre but have nowhere to host it.

And the second question... does that fall into the "dark metallic/pearlescent Audi's" guide that is stickied in this section? I'm keen to give it a bit of TLC (there are some swirls on the bonnet/roof and salt(?) marks on the sills)... so wanted to make sure i'm buying the right products. while i have the ethusiam and excitment of my first audi, i figured i'd do the right thing and do a "full" clean/clay/stuff i havent leanrt yet/polish/etc.

Im hoping this grey colour comes up nice and glossy/wet. not too bothered about exaggerating the sparkle/flake/metallic too much... just nice and reflective/glossy.

thanks for any help!

Rob

Hey rob,
Unsure on the colour, Poorboy's black hole will mask those swirls if you're unsure on abrasive polishes! I'm sure you won't go wrong with the dark metalic guide! I've also seen the werkstat products on a metalic black Mito and it had the glossy look you're after! Other than that, Carlack 68 nano system care with Chemical guys pete's 53 is always recommended on dark colours! Victoria's concours wax always looks dripping wet. There are hundreds of combo's and you can't really make a bad decision IMO. It all depends on your budget. cleanyourcar.co.uk is another good site. Some of the more experienced boys will help shortly I'm sure. Enjoy!!!
Neil

Sounds like lava grey to me Rob

Is it this sort of colour? Same as mine

IMG_7303.jpg

Getting mine detailed by N8 this weekend, will hopefully bring the sparkles out :hubbahubba:

yeah looks like that.. possibly darker? may have just been a bit dirty/wet though!

i'll check out that guide...

I've just read the guide for dark colours. how difficult is the following?

"To correct swirl marks and other light to moderate defects (fine scratches and etching) on your car, we recommend a two stage process starting with Menzerna 203S in conjunction with Lake Country German CCS Light Cut Pads. Working small areas at a time using moderate pressure should enable you to correct a reasonable amount of the defects present in just 1-2 attempts per panel. Any remaining defects should then be partially hidden and the overall finish refined with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish in conjunction with Lake Country German CCS Polishing Pads. Working small areas at a time using light pressure should enable you to partially hide any remaining defects and maximise the gloss in just a single attempt per panel. You should be aware from the outset that although this method will yield very good results, it will require a reasonable amount of elbow grease!"

Is using the Mazerna 203s product something that I need experience for. I have never detailed a car before- do I risk marking the paint? Would I be better off using some poor boys black hole product- seems like less risk, but not quite as good performance? or will I be ok with the mazerna stuff. I'm thinking of placing an order on PB.co.uk... and then I looked at the total bill (£170)... then questioned whether i'm able to make the most of the products with no experience.

thoughts?

cheers,

Rob

I've just read the guide for dark colours. how difficult is the following?

"To correct swirl marks and other light to moderate defects (fine scratches and etching) on your car, we recommend a two stage process starting with Menzerna 203S in conjunction with Lake Country German CCS Light Cut Pads. Working small areas at a time using moderate pressure should enable you to correct a reasonable amount of the defects present in just 1-2 attempts per panel. Any remaining defects should then be partially hidden and the overall finish refined with Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish in conjunction with Lake Country German CCS Polishing Pads. Working small areas at a time using light pressure should enable you to partially hide any remaining defects and maximise the gloss in just a single attempt per panel. You should be aware from the outset that although this method will yield very good results, it will require a reasonable amount of elbow grease!"

Is using the Mazerna 203s product something that I need experience for. I have never detailed a car before- do I risk marking the paint? Would I be better off using some poor boys black hole product- seems like less risk, but not quite as good performance? or will I be ok with the mazerna stuff. I'm thinking of placing an order on PB.co.uk... and then I looked at the total bill (£170)... then questioned whether i'm able to make the most of the products with no experience.

thoughts?

cheers,

Rob

I'd pay a pro to do it if i were you Rob :laugh:

Hi Rob. Hand polishing is very easy, obviously. Something like the following will give you superb results by hand;

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/menzerna-203s-polish.html

Note the light cut hand pad by Lake County as a product other people have bought. These in conjuction are ideal.

If you have major swirling and marks (unlikely on a newer car) then paying a professional, either for lessons or a full detail, is your best bet.

£170 may seem a little steep, but when you think those products will last you years, and give you time to perfect you techniques, it's not that bad, I've spent alot, but now can detail my cars to a decwnt standard, to have it done professionally would have cost me about £1000 for thew number of time's I've done it, plus did a collegues car for a few quid. Depends how much spare time you want to put into it. Or you could spend £250 at the beginning of spring to get your car looking great, and £150 aat the beginning of winter to protect it, all done professionally.

Neil

£170 may seem a little steep, but when you think those products will last you years, and give you time to perfect you techniques, it's not that bad,

Cheers mate! I guess that's the confirmation I was looking for- that these bottles of product will last a while. I guess the base layer stuff that PB recommend using twice a year will last quite some time!

.. sorted... order placed. i treated myself to an few extra microfiber cloths, applicators and two buckets! cant wait! i haven't even picked up the car... and i just spent £200 on cleaning products!:faint: actually, when i look at it... most of the cost is decent cloths/buckets...which i threw out when i sold my classic mini the other year.:uhm:

Bring on wednesday! :yahoo: