Peeling laquer

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
ok, just bought an A3 for the misus and noticed that both sides have had paint..... there are a few spots where the laquer has started peeling lightly - obviously best case scenario is to have them redone, i would like to however give it a go with the DA or Rotary before conforming to a new paint job which will lead to several hundred pounds

the car is kingfisher blue

what tips can you guys give me, wet n dry? pads to use? which menzerna to hit it with? etc etc

cheers

Tim

Peeling lacquer is a no go with a machine Tim. You will just rip more off tbh mate. I would consult a spray shop as it is not something I have experience before.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

James

as a DIY the best yiou could do is wet and dry the area to feather it slightly, and use a lacquer touch up thingy to replace the missing lacquer and when dry do the best you can to polish the area in to maych by hand. Anything rougher will run the risk of stripping more off

But after the wet and dry you would need a machine polisher to take out the sanding marks. . .

Unless you know a detailer that will just do mates rates, Tim, I would get it to a garage.

Would the company not guarantee their work for a certain amount of time? Maybe take it to them and suggest it is an issue that needs sorting and you are willing to give them the business for a greatly reduced price?

Actually fella, you're not that far from me are you. Welcome to pop in if you opt for the sanding option and I'll give her a once over.

cheers John/Mark

I only thought as i have seen a chap on detailingworld get good results when ev1 else said it wasnt possible, the laquer seems to have come off and revealed the old laquered paint beneath so if i could smooth it off then get my neighbour (whos just bought the full DA and rotary kit) - we've nothing to lose as it would just need doing anyway

other thing is one of the wing mirrors has lost all its laquer so gonna go for RS4 silver finish on these, give them to other neighbour who works in bodyshop for Vauxhall (dont trust him with full car as hes a lazy fatty :) )

Oh I see, my thoughts aren't good enough then, eh?

Sod replying to your future posts, ya Northern Monkey!

Oh wait!

dont worry sweety i havent forgotten about you ;)

i am biased though as Jimmy is closer lol