b7 RS4 Cabriolet - Red

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Only a couple of teaser images for now! Report will be documented throughout the night and no doubt be online tomorrow ~lunchtime!

DSC00786iwd-1.jpg

DSC00828wd-1.jpg

What a car.

Jim

Last edited:
I couldn't resist.. I just had to write it tonight!

Enjoy..

Audi b7 RS4 Cabriolet – 2008

Winter Protection Detail with full Interior and LTT Leather care.

I’ve been looking forward to this one.. Why? I’m an Audi man myself. I’m on my fourth!

Generally, this is a very well looked after vehicle. Mainly used at the weekends and hardly even driven these last two/three months..

Before:

DSC00633wd.jpg

After:

DSC00819wd.jpg

Product:
• 303 Fabric Guard
• AutoGlym Fast Glass
• AutoSmart G101
• AutoSmart Tardis
• Belgom ALU
• ChemicalGuys JetSEAL901
• Clearkote Red Moose Glaze
• Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild
• Dodo Juice SuperNatural
• LTT Auto Ultra Foam
• LTT Auto Ultra Protect
• Lusso Revitalizing Cream
• Meguiars Last Touch
• Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel
• Sonus Green Mild Clay
• Zaino Z8 Grand Finale

• Black Baron Vehicle Dryer
• Karcher something or other.. (soon to be replaced by a Kranzle!)
• Porter Cable 7424 Dual-action polisher
• VAX6131 wet n dry vac

Inspection..

DSC00634wd.jpg

DSC00635wd.jpg

DSC00638wd.jpg

DSC00639wd.jpg

DSC00640wd.jpg

As always, I started with the wheels. AutoSmart G101, various brushes and mitts to reach through the spokes to clean the rim/hub and caliper..

DSC00644wd.jpg
DSC00645wd.jpg

DSC00649wd.jpg
DSC00652wd.jpg

After a thorough soaking, ValetPRO SnowFoam applied and allowed to dwell for a few minutes..

DSC00655wd.jpg

…whilst I dealt with the finicky areas:

DSC00658wd.jpg
DSC00662wd.jpg

DSC00660wd.jpg

DSC00663wd.jpg

Washed – Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild and a Lambswool mitt.

DSC00665wd.jpg

I wasn’t expecting much pick-up from the claying stages.. To touch, the car was generally quite smooth and appeared contaminant free.

Clay bar before:

DSC00666wd.jpg

Clay bar after boot lid and N/S doors if I remember correctly (only as far down as the bump-strips at this stage..)

DSC00668wd.jpg

^more than I expected after all.

Lower-doors, boot and the bumpers were the worst areas..

DSC00670wd.jpg

DSC00673wd.jpg

After I clay one/two panels, I will often rinse the area to rid of the lube residues.. This usually leads to ample amounts of standing water.

DSC00676wd.jpg

Now, rather than lapping it up with a drying towel, allow free-flowing water to ‘sheet’ over the panel.

DSC00677wd.jpg

This, as seen, makes life much easier when drying as there is now very little stood water (and also minimises the chance of marring the paint)

DSC00678wd.jpg

Remaining water on the car was picked with a mf drying towel and then crevices/wheels/gaps/mesh blown with the Black Baron.

DSC00680wd.jpg

This is an amazing bit of kit! Where I’d usually end up cursing water that drips down from the window join or petrol filler, its completely eliminated. No more smears when polishing, waxing or buffing!

One clean, dry RS4. Looks stunning already!

DSC00681wd.jpg

DSC00684wd.jpg

Once inside, Lusso Revitalizing Cream was worked into the paint via DA and a 3M finishing pad with a blob of Red Moose Glaze to add some depth to the red paint.

DSC00687wd.jpg

DSC00688wd.jpg

Last edited:
Now, in previous Winter Protection Details, Lusso’s Revitalizing Cream has come into its own with its ease of use, looks and ability to remove most of the surface hazing.. This was no exception.

Cloudy swirled paint on the O/S door..

DSC00694wd.jpg

And after a pass with Lusso and the Red Moose Glaze:

DSC00696wd.jpg

By no means is it perfect, but, considering Audi paint is particularly ‘bomb-proof’, I was pleased at the cleaning ability given.

DSC00699wd.jpg

Which was all followed up with a fine coat of Dodo Juice SuperNatural wax..

DSC00710wd.jpg

DSC00713wd.jpg
DSC00714wd.jpg

DSC00715wd.jpg

Alloys were sealed with ChemicalGuys’ JetSEAL901.. After I’d applied to all four, I tidied the exhaust tips up with Belgom ALU and the wheels are now about ready to be buffed up..

DSC00724wd.jpg
DSC00781wd.jpg

Tyres dressed with Megs endurance. Windows cleaned with AutoGlym Fast Glass.

DSC00726wd.jpg

Whoa’ MOMMA!

DSC00728wd.jpg

A few final exterior checks and I notice a healthy amount of polish build-up in both of the side badges. I later learnt that the previous valeters liked their AutoGlym kit so no doubt this was Super Resin Polish remains..

After a bit off tooth-pickery, they came up fine.

DSC00732wd.jpg
DSC00734wd.jpg

Convertible hood was protected with 303’s Fabric Guard.

DSC00737wd.jpg

I then started on the interior (which was in fine shape already (albeit the leather which was due a deep-clean..))

This was the dirt that was lifted from the drivers seat:

DSC00739wd.jpg

DSC00741wd.jpg

DSC00748wd.jpg

DSC00749wd.jpg

I’m pretty stocked up now! (Thanks to the owners for a healthy supply of biscuits and coffee all day!)

DSC00744wd.jpg

More final checks; a quick spritz over with Z8 to clean up any Fabric Guard smears that may have made their way down to the paintwork..

DSC00751wd.jpg

DSC00755wd.jpg

DSC00757wd.jpg

DSC00758wd.jpg

And we’re pretty much there! Que lots of photos!!!

DSC00761wd.jpg

DSC00763wd.jpg

DSC00765wd.jpg

DSC00768wd.jpg

DSC00776wd.jpg

DSC00778wd.jpg

DSC00779wd.jpg

The hubs were pretty tricky to clean on this car; angled grooves and multi-spokes made for quite a time consuming job..

DSC00780wd.jpg

DSC00782wd.jpg

DSC00784wd.jpg
DSC00788wd.jpg

DSC00785wd.jpg

DSC00787wd.jpg

DSC00790wd.jpg

DSC00796wd.jpg

DSC00801wd.jpg

DSC00798wd.jpg

DSC00825wd.jpg

DSC00811wd.jpg

DSC00791wd.jpg

DSC00792wd.jpg

One shiny RS and a dirty TDi:

DSC00816wd.jpg

DSC00814wd.jpg

DSC00815wd.jpg

DSC00817wd.jpg

DSC00820wd.jpg

DSC00823wd.jpg
DSC00833wd.jpg

DSC00826wd.jpg

Packed up and ready to go..

DSC00830wd.jpg

Final..

DSC00839wd.jpg

DSC00836wd.jpg
DSC00842wd.jpg

And two which have been played with slightly in Photoshop:

DSC00786iwd.jpg

DSC00828wd.jpg

So, who wants to buy a 1.9TDi Avant Quattro Sport to make way for my new car!!!?

I enjoyed both the ~7 hour detail on the car, and, documenting the report.. Such a strong, vivid image. I’d love to see the car in ‘full-sun’. I hope to be revisiting once a month to maintain things, so, fingers crossed!

As always, thanks for reading.

Jim

Absolutley Beautiful work, look forward to your write ups and enjoy watching you add life to wonderful cars, brilliant

Fantastic as always Jim matey. I may ask a couple of Q's about my red soon, just not had the time to utilise the new purchases!

Nice one Jim, the results from the lusso RC is amazing mate. I know that it is great on darker coloured paintwork, but is it just as good on light paintwork as well? My A3 is Just a shade darker than silver (don't know the actual colour name yet, been searching for a few days now) If it isn't suitable what product would be, I have poorboys black hole, are they of a similar ilk? If it would suit my A3 a treat, where do you get it from, its like rocking horse S***. Only just joined this forum but been admiring your work on CYC for a while now, hope to reach a similar standard!

Thanks, seen the werksat on a few silvers now, they bring them up lovely, awesome reflection! But want a glaze to add a little depth, so instead of the whole kit I'll just get the Jett and gloss, and use a product like the lusso RC, but cannot find it online at the moment! Will get a few pics up after I've done it though! So hopefully Jim will let me know where he gets it from:)

What Rowdyboy says to be honest, Hunty. I dont think you can go far wrong with the Werkstat system on light colours.

I'm yet to use Lusso RC on a lighter colourerd car.. If I fancied a change, maybe I'll sway towards PB White Diamond when the time comes.. http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/glazes/poorboys-white-diamond/prod_551.html The opposite to BlackHole (for lighter colours..)

I believe BH is a tad more 'filler-heavy' than RC. But, it seems RC does a better job (for me..) in 'cleaning'. I've been known to throw a bit of BH into the mix.. benefit from the cleaners in RC, and, the oily glaze from BH. *shrugs* There is no definite answer.. I picked Lusso RC up from AutoPerfection - they dont appear to have it on their site at the minute though, so, phone through and speak to Jim. He'll be able to help. - http://www.autoperfection.com/shop/contact-us.html

Last edited:
RE Werkstat JETT, I'm not sure how well this will go down after using Lusso's RC... it's quite an oily cleanser. I don't know too much about the relationships involved here, so, lets hope someone 'in the know' can answer it for us! Failing that, speak to Jim, he might have a better idea!

another really stunning job Jimmeh - Have you had a chance to read my PM yet?

Thanks

Stunning Jim, why some1 would order a vert without buckets I have no idea, don't see many red ones at all, stunning stunning work :wub:

know what you mean but i think those seats look classier for this type of car. Buckets would more suit an S3 than an RS4.

Thanks for the info, sorry to keep asking you questions, but could I mix carlack NSC and PB BH on the same pad, as you have with the Lusso RC and BH? Carlack NSC is basically werkstat prime is it not? And then apply the jett and glos? Should I be PMing these questions, sounds like you have a few to do, thanks again

Neil

I always look forward to your posts jimmeh! Looks stunning mate! When i get a nice car one day, you'll be the first person i call for a detail!!! One question about claying, after you foam and use the two buckets and rinse, do you use the clay then and what do you use with the claying process?

Neil, Ive never looked at Carlack NSC - since splashing out mid-year 2009, I've limited my spend and tend to stick with what I know! (for now..)

It certainly has an impressive spec and reviews to boot..

I wouldn't use BH on your car tbh - because of its shade, I dont think you will benefit much from BH. NSC alongside WhiteDiamond maybe? (as NSC is totally abrasive free and WD could fill some of the lighter swirls?!) I don't know.. Try posting on DetailingWorld - Hopefully someone with NSC experience can help us out!

Jim

I always look forward to your posts jimmeh! Looks stunning mate! When i get a nice car one day, you'll be the first person i call for a detail!!! One question about claying, after you foam and use the two buckets and rinse, do you use the clay then and what do you use with the claying process?

Thats right - you want to get the car as clean as possible prior to claying.. all it takes is a ting piece of grit to become trapped under the clay and you're going to cause a hell of a mess!

I use a mild Sonus Green clay bar with Meguiars LastTouch diluted down to 1-1 which is used as a lube. All good online resellers should stock clay kits - if in doubt, check PolishedBliss - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/clay-bars-and-clay-bar-lubricants.html

Stunning car, buckets would make it perfect! Excellent work also lol

can i drop my car at yours for a clean please ? i wish i had the time, i really neglect mine

Ace colour, looks great Jim - thank you for the great detailed "detailing" threads

Best wishes

Chris