Headlight clean

m.dub

Reaction score
hi guys just had a new headlight fitted due to a little bump i had and it looks smart the only problem is that it makes the other original headlight look dull, does any one know of a way to buff up the plastic to try and make it match the new one.

thanks for the help.

Good question and hopefully someone will be along soon to answer as I've been thinking about doing mine recently.....

I'm sure I read that some people have used a buffer but need to confirm if it's a good idea and actually works!

Buffing via machine works very well. You could look into finding a local detailer that will machine polish your head lights with PlastX or a similar polish/compound. I am very happy to have a look, but depends on where you are based.

James

Indeed - failing this, if you wanted to get rid of deeper scratches and oxidation, you can flat it back and then polish up.

something like 2000grit followed bby 4000grit..

I did it to my S3 some time ago.. will try find the photos for you

full report here - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showth...-*FULL-REPORT*&p=575196&highlight=#post575196

but headlight pics:

Before
DSC00104.jpg

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

Rubbish pics tbh! But, you get the idea.

DSC00137.jpg

Still love that colour Jim. There is one for sale on PH at the moment matey, not sure if it's your old one??

I have exactly the same problem re headlights.
I've just had a xenon replaced and it now makes the other one look inferior and also makes the car look odd in someway. The problem you have is that much of the light dust etc is on the inside of the unit and also the fact that they have aged.
The indicator lens on the new xenon is light orange and on the older unit its quite dark with age probably.
I've tried polishing the unit up but to no avail.
I'm now possibly looking at a new lamp !!!!, and also whilst the bumper is off, installing the black optics front grille.
Yes, I know, not cheap :-(

Nail on head. With modern Xenon systems a lot of such differences will be due to ageing of the internal components in the original unit compared to the replacement unit. Polishing the outer plastic casing may help, but only to a point. It's the same with performance bulbs in standard lamps too - replace just one a year or two after a pair of originals were fitted and you will spot a difference due to ageing of the bulb/discolouration of the glass. :sm4: