AH FabricationsSky Insurance

Thread: Light scratch

tku
    3rd Gear

Status

Light scratch

Hey guys, I just washed and inspected my car this morning and have found a light scratch, maybe about 3 inches long. Its not very deep almost like a fingernail scratch and it doesn't look like its gone deep into my paintwork at all. Now if this was 6 months ago and I hadn't found an advice forum I probably just would of brought out the old t-cut, however I just thought I'd run the problem through here first so any ideas/suggestions to what you guys would use for a fine scratch would be grateful! Any names of products and techniques please. Thanks again!

2. # ADS
    ADS

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    Hi,

Please don't use T-Cut!!

If it is a very light scratch then something like Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (AG SRP) should sort it for you. Same action as any other polish, small blob on a micro fibre and polish in.

If it is a bad scratch, Meguirars Scratch X is very good. But this is more of a harsh polish than SRP, so go easy.

The only other option would be to find a local detailing with a machine polisher. I am based in the NW (Cheshire) and would be perfectly happy to help. If you could post up photos, that would help greatly!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tku View Post
    Hey guys, I just washed and inspected my car this morning and have found a light scratch, maybe about 3 inches long. Its not very deep almost like a fingernail scratch and it doesn't look like its gone deep into my paintwork at all. Now if this was 6 months ago and I hadn't found an advice forum I probably just would of brought out the old t-cut, however I just thought I'd run the problem through here first so any ideas/suggestions to what you guys would use for a fine scratch would be grateful! Any names of products and techniques please. Thanks again!
    Can you feel the scratch if you run your finger nail over it?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Can you feel the scratch if you run your finger nail over it?
    A good question.

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    Nope, I just went outside to give it a good feel lol..and I can't feel anything when I run finger over it..it really is a fine scratch.

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Jimmeh on Facebook
    Get some pictures posted up if you can chap.

There's only 'so' much that you can achieve by hand; best off if you can get hold of a machine (in the right hands!)
    Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi 130 Quattro Sport.
    WhiteDetails.co.uk - Facebook? Follow me!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    Get some pictures posted up if you can chap.

There's only 'so' much that you can achieve by hand; best off if you can get hold of a machine (in the right hands!)
    I agree. That said, I definitely think it's worth giving it a go by hand first, as it will probably be a lot more convenient. I removed a scratch on a mates car that looked quite bad very easily yesterday using SRP by hand.

Status
    SRP is fine to a certain extent. Good to start off with a low cut.

But judging by the description you may need to up the cut to something like Meguirars Scratch X. Good stuff and available from a wide range of locations.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    So is the meguairs scratch x stuff any good? Used in on a mates mk4 black astra once and it just seemed to fill the scratch rather than remove it!
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Anyone?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Polished Bliss

Status
    It would be best to use a polish with a decent level of cut that breaks down very easily, otherwise you run the risk of leaving marring in the finish. In a case like this, where you have a light scratch and no machine polisher to hand, I would recommend using Menzerna 203S and a Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad. This combination will cut well and leave a high gloss finish with no marring. It will also cut back the defect as opposed to filling it. More detailed info and usage instructions on this link...

Menzerna 203S - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...203s-cat8.html

Polished Bliss

Status
    It would be best to use a polish with a decent level of cut that breaks down very easily, otherwise you run the risk of leaving marring in the finish. In a case like this, where you have a light scratch and no machine polisher to hand, I would recommend using Menzerna 203S and a Lake Country Light Cut Hand Pad. This combination will cut well and leave a high gloss finish with no marring. It will also cut back the defect as opposed to filling it. More detailed info and usage instructions on this link...

Menzerna 203S - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...203s-cat8.html